WHS 2011 SSL Certificate does not match Computer Name RRS feed

• Question

• Problem - The SSL certificate does not match the computer name.  The mis-match is preventing me from signing into the dashboard from my client system into the server.

The cause - I made a typo when I installed the server software.  After some searching I found a work-around that enabled me to name the server correctly.  However, the computer name does not match the name in the SSL Certificate.

Question - Is there a way to create a new certificate where the SSL Certificate name matches the computer name?

Thanks.

PDXPat

Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:52 PM

Answers

• You have two choices:

1. Change the server name back to what it was, and hope that this corrects your certificate error.
    2. Reinstall using the correct server name.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:22 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 11:18 AM
  • The CA service has a hard requirement that you not change the workgroup or computer name once it's been installed, and it's installed as part of Windows Home Server 2011. Microsoft enforces this requirement by not really making it possible to alter these bits of information using the normal GUI tools.

Beyond that, you'd have to ask Microsoft, but A) they won't answer you, and B) if they did they'd just say "Because..."

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:23 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies

• You have two choices:

1. Change the server name back to what it was, and hope that this corrects your certificate error.
    2. Reinstall using the correct server name.

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Ken, thank you for the quick response.  Although the cure is pretty painful. . .

Any insight why the naming of the server is so inflexible?

PDXPat

• Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:22 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:05 PM
  • The CA service has a hard requirement that you not change the workgroup or computer name once it's been installed, and it's installed as part of Windows Home Server 2011. Microsoft enforces this requirement by not really making it possible to alter these bits of information using the normal GUI tools.

Beyond that, you'd have to ask Microsoft, but A) they won't answer you, and B) if they did they'd just say "Because..."

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:23 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 7:59 PM