WHS 2011 Backup Error RRS feed

• Question

• After installing and configuring the windows home server 2011, plus applying any outstanding updates I successfully backed up the server. However the scheduled backups fail with an error,

"The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎07‎-‎24T15:05:36.444000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348129'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

I have looked at previous entries in forums and on the internet for this error, the main resolution seems to be; make the syetm partition Active, which it is. I have checked the event logs, and the Volume Shadow copy Starts with a freeze and completes. There are no errors before the backup error, and only informational ones after about Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and none regarding Shared Protection Point (SPP). I also checked the status of shadow copies of the volumes, and a shadow copy was indicated as being available at the time of the backup, in other words it created a shadow copy.

I also checked that no other back up service was running, using wbadmin get status in the command window.

The backup volume has 96% free space, the other volumes have between 38% and 84% free, these are 2TB drives with the main drive hardwared mirrored and partitioned by the installation into 60Gb and 1802GB partitions with the 100Mb System partition also created during installation.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next? As a footnote all of the "client" laptop/PC's backed up a good few hours before this backup was run on the server.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Rouse
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Steve

Recommend to check the Event Viewer at first.

For common VSS issue's troubleshooting, you can refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692290(WS.10).aspx.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi Junyong,

I have checked Event Viewer (see my text), there are no errors apart from the one mentioned, thanks for the link, but there is nothing in it that can/will help me!

I have reinstalled the homeserver onto another identical machine and it backs-up ok, until I install all of the updates :-( so the problem may be with one of those. I am going to reinstall again to test this theory.

Steve

Steve Rouse
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Hi, Steve

Have you check the info in the Details tab of this event log?

Best Regards,

Junyong

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Steve or Junyong

Any luck solving this one?  I'd installed WHS2011 and everything was working fine.  I've got SharePoint Foundations loaded and yesterday installed SP1 and all of a sudden my Server Backups are failing with the same error message Steve was getting.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

AJM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hi, Andy

Do you mean the issue happened after you installed SP1 of Sharepoint foundation? Is it sharepoint foundation 2010?

Exception for Sharepoint foundation, what else have you installed in your home server?

Sorry for asking so many details. More details will be helpful for us to repro this issue. Then, we can give accurate root cause and workaround instead of guessing.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Steve or Junyong

Any luck solving this one?  I'd installed WHS2011 and everything was working fine.  I've got SharePoint Foundations loaded and yesterday installed SP1 and all of a sudden my Server Backups are failing with the same error message Steve was getting.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

AJM

Hi, Andy

Please refer http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/06/potential-issues-after-installing-sharepoint-foundation-2010-sp1.aspx and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2580174 for solving this issue.

Best Regards,

Junyong

• Marked as answer by Bluerouses Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Hi All,

Well having configured a second box and managed to backup everything until installing Sharepoint SP1, I removed Sharepoint SP1 and this enabled me to complete a backup. I then went back onto my original machine and tried the solutions mentioned above...Please refer http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/06/potential-issues-after-installing-sharepoint-foundation-2010-sp1.aspx andhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2580174 for solving this issue.

I'm not getting the error now, and the backup has been running for some time. I will reinstall the update on the test (2nd) machine and see if that was the issue.

Steve

Steve Rouse
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Steve

Thank you! I just ran the second part of the SparePoint SP1 upgrade and I'm back to a backed up server.  Thank you for taking the time to post your response.

Regards

Andy

AJM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:35 PM