Windows Live OneCare Two Subscriptions RRS feed

• Question

• I have two subscriptions and two Install CD's.  I have only two computers activated one of the subscriptions, and three on the other.  I wish to activate another computer on the first subscription (virusspamprotection@hotmail.com).  Does it matter which of the two install CD's I use?  They seem identical, but the bar code id's are different.  I don't know how to tell one from the other, and I did not mark them. 

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Don't use the CD. Go to - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/addcomputerinstall.htm sign in using the Live ID associated with the subscription you wish to add a computer to, install One Care and activate it using that same Live ID.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:09 PM
  • The install source makes no difference at all, Tom. Well, except that an older version of the installer may not work for the OS you are installing on. For example, if you are using a v1.5 CD and want to install on Vista 64 bit, that CD will report that the OS is unsupported. In any event, you can *always* simply install by downloading from http://onecare.live.com

and then activate the install, that is subscribe, using the LiveID for the appropriate subscription. The install CD never needs to be used again and the retail key would only have value if you needed to find out what the LiveID was for the subscription and you contacted support.

-steve

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:10 PM
  • i added a fourth pc using a second CD purchased but the dates of the first sudscription and the second have all defaulted to the first subscription. I am losing 6 months of subscription on the 4'th pc??

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:40 AM
  •  hankmallard wrote:
    i added a fourth pc using a second CD purchased but the dates of the first sudscription and the second have all defaulted to the first subscription. I am losing 6 months of subscription on the 4'th pc??

You must unisntall OneCare from the 4th PC and reinstall. When you finish the install and click Subscribe, you must use a *different* LiveID to begin a second subscription. Using the original LiveID that has the first subscription on it has made PC #4 a part of the first subscription. Each LiveID can only have a single OneCare subscription associated with it and at this time there is no facility to add licenses to an existing subscription for more than 3 PCs.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:14 PM