Dynamics CRM 4 Outlook Contact Synchronisation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if this is something that is potentially wrong with our system or if it is just a feature that the product does not allow for. 

I am looking at the synchronisation between Outlook and Dynamics CRM 4, at the moment all of the 'contacts' are successfully synchronising over to my Outlook contacts however the leads are not.  As the implementation is primarily for the sales team at the outset is it possible to synchronise these accross? 

The reason being that our phone system "Swyx" integrates into Outlook as is and if the leads were in the contacts we could use it for CTI integration without the need for a third party addon.  Does anyone know if this is an option that I have missed or just a feature that is not available?  If it is the later is there a way around this?  Thank you for your time.

Dan

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:43 PM

Answers

• Only CRM contacts synch with Outlook Contacts--Leads are not contact records until you convert them to a contact.

I recommend that you do not leave contacts in lead records for very long, there are several other reasons:

Notes on leads don't come along when they become contacts and accounts

there is no duplicated detection between leads and other entities, so if a contact already exists, and somebody enters a lead, you will have duplication.

You should convert leads to contacts and accounts and give them a relationship status of prospect.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• Only CRM contacts synch with Outlook Contacts--Leads are not contact records until you convert them to a contact.

I recommend that you do not leave contacts in lead records for very long, there are several other reasons:

Notes on leads don't come along when they become contacts and accounts

there is no duplicated detection between leads and other entities, so if a contact already exists, and somebody enters a lead, you will have duplication.

You should convert leads to contacts and accounts and give them a relationship status of prospect.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Thank you, I had thought that it might be the case.  I'm aware of that problem with Notes along with the inability to import carraige returns into text in the crm.  I have found ways around the problems though I'm not sure that it would be supported as they both involve running TSQL commands against the CRM tables.

We are using leads as we have a large client base already and want to ensure that leads only move to an account stage once there is a specific opportunity associated with it and thus keeping the sales team working primarily on leads and client services working with accounts (once it's implemented). 

I agree that there is a definate issue with duplication between the leads and accounts sections.

Thank you for your help.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:35 PM