none
WHS & Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• This seems to be a problem that has come back with Windows 7 and I do appreciate that it is still a beta.

My PC previously ran Vista 64 no problems and backed up every night.  Before doing a clean install of Windows7 I validated that I could restore Vista from the backup on the Home Server and all went OK.

Windows 7 installed fine and all is OK.  WHS Connector installed fine as well and Windows 7 backs up to the WHS as normal.

Howver when trying to recover some particular files fromn a previous Vista backup on the Home Server the recovery gets to 81% and I get the mesage "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server.  Verify that all services are running".  The PC has 2 hard disks but regardless of which one I am restorng from it stalls at 81%.

The strange thing is that whilst the restore is counting up to 81% you can see the main console screen for WHS showing "Restore in Progress  xx%"  which builds up to 100% by the time the open windows gets to 81% and stalls.

Event viewer shows that the restore was successful.

From searching the forum it appears that this problem existed prior to the Power Pack.  Have any other Windows 7/WHS users experienced the problem?

WHS is Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 2.66Mhz, 2Gb RAM, 3 x 1Tb and 1 x 320gb disks

PC is Quad Core 6700 4gb RAm, 1 x 750gb and 1 x 250Gb disks

Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• There have been other reports of this type of issue. Usually people are able to open backups sporadically on Windows 7. I haven't looked into this in depth, but I think what I've read indicates that most often, the first time after a reboot the backup opens successfully, but it fails thereafter. That would suggest that the driver that's loaded for the pseudo-drive is not fully compatible with Windows 7 for some reason. That's not a huge surprise, as there are changes in some file system handling in W7, I believe.

Anyway, I know that the WHS team is aware of, and looking into, these issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:35 PM

All replies

• My two windows 7 pc's (laptop and desktop) have the same issue..  The first time I opened a backup with em it worked, but now they don't.  While my vista machine still works fine.  I ended up using that to get the files I needed.  I haven't pursued a solution because I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it..

There is a trick with removing and reinstalling the drivers, but it would pop up in the device manager so quickly and go away that I could not get to it quick enough!

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:46 AM
  • There have been other reports of this type of issue. Usually people are able to open backups sporadically on Windows 7. I haven't looked into this in depth, but I think what I've read indicates that most often, the first time after a reboot the backup opens successfully, but it fails thereafter. That would suggest that the driver that's loaded for the pseudo-drive is not fully compatible with Windows 7 for some reason. That's not a huge surprise, as there are changes in some file system handling in W7, I believe.

Anyway, I know that the WHS team is aware of, and looking into, these issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:35 PM