windows home server powered off by itself + ACCESS database saved to server gets corrupted RRS feed

• Question

• Our windows home server turns off by itself almost once or twice every day.  It would not come back on, and we need to reboot to start.  We rely on the server to share some folders, and this is a problem when we are on the road, as no one can restart the server.  How to fix it? 

Would the upcoming service pack 1 resolves this problem?

another problem that i am having is a file using Access gets corrupted since we move it to the server.  Since it is a shared file, changes are made to the file on server directly by different users.  This file has been quite stable but since we moved to the server, it gets corrupted almost once every few days.  How to resolve this problem?  is it a known problem?  Would service pack be able to fix this too?

thx a lot.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi and welcome,

Your second point first, you really need to the Microsoft Knowledgebase, which will tell you that what you are doing with Access, is likely to lead to the corruption you have found. It also explains how to mitigate it while your waiting, (like us,) for the forthcoming fix.

Your first point. This isn't a WHS problem per se, it sounds like your setup/hardware, so no, a service pack won't help.

I'm sure that someone on here will have some ideas if you can give us some more details, such as, motherboard, what type/number disks etc.

Initially, your BIOS should offer a restart option, which will restart the server, however, we need to find the underlying cause. You don't have the evaluation version, or have the WHS connected to another network/server have you, or any power saving options?

Colin

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Hi Colin,

Thx for ur email.  No, I do not have evaluation version, nor have WHS connected to another network/server.  For hardware, it is a self-built server, 2 HDs, MSI motherboard, socket AM2.  Any idea what may go wrong causing powering off?  Thx.

Monday, April 14, 2008 3:37 AM
  • Hi,

The first thing we need to see, is there any information in any of the logs?

For these, there is two ways to access them. If your quite happy with an RDP connection, then you can RDP into the server, click Start, select Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. Alternatively, download the Event Viewer Add-In, add it through you Connector Console and check the logs from there. The best option, as it gives you an easy route in future.

The items to check,

any drivers used while building the WHS were Server 2003 compatible/latest versions.

The temperature of your system, is it getting too hot and shutting down?

WHS runs chkdsk regularly, so maybe you have a disk problem, try running chkdsk manually with the /f switch, see if it comes up with any disk errors.

Colin

Monday, April 14, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Hi all - just browsing the site trying to find a solution to my own problem when I saw this thread.  The Knowledgebase article refers to problems with systems that have more than one HDD.  Does anyone know if this is a function of the built in duplication feature (I forget the name and my WHS isn't in front of me) in systems with more than one HDD or is it inherent to these systems regardless of whether or not duplication is used?  Also do you know if the problem exists for RAID configurations (whereby two HDD's are used but one logical drive is created)? 

Just curious because I have an Access application running from my WHS with no reported errors.  So I'm either in for it or exempt from it and I'd like to know which one it is .

Thanks!

Po

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:47 PM
  • This problem exists for any Windows Home Server system with more than one drive in the storage pool. Duplication doesn't have to be turned on for any folders to experience this issue.

The answer to your question about RAID depends on the exact configuration you're using. If your RAID configuration presents more than one volume to the server, and all those volumes are participating in the storage pool, then it will affect your configuration.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:12 PM