MSMONEY version 3 - SAVE file turns into 4GB RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Money version 3 for many years. I've tried all the other versions but still like this old one the best. The program still works great except for one odd problem. As soon as I print any of the reports, then save the file on exit, the resulting file turns into a 4GB plus file instead of something around 130kb. I wonder what makes it do this. You can still open and use this huge file but what a waste of HD space. Anybody got any ideas how this could be fixed?
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• That would correspond to the 1995 version of Money, I think. Disk drives over 4 GB were not in use back then, at least at home.

I have not heard of that behavior, but I have an idea. You might try putting your file into a volume with less than 2 GB of free space. This could be a hard drive partition, a USB flash drive, or even a virtual drive. TrueCrypt would let you create an encrypted virtual hard drive of whatever size you want.

You could also consider converting to a newer version. The sticky post at the top of this forum will give you a link to a free download.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I have recently moved microsoft money to a windows 7 computer ( previously ran on xp). All is working perfectly except that now files have grown from kb to 4gb in size.  As I have 3 separate files that's 12gb. Why is this happening? What can I do to get them back to a useable size?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:31 AM
  • I have recently moved microsoft money to a windows 7 computer ( previously ran on xp). All is working perfectly except that now files have grown from kb to 4gb in size.  As I have 3 separate files that's 12gb. Why is this happening? What can I do to get them back to a useable size?

What version of Money are you using on the new computer?
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:04 PM
  • I am using the same version as being discussed- it is Version 3.
    Monday, July 21, 2014 6:50 AM
  • This the second time that I heard of that behavior, and I don't know how the first made out.   You might try putting your file into a volume with less than 2 GB of free space. This could be a hard drive partition, a USB flash drive, or even a virtual drive. TrueCrypt would let you create an encrypted virtual hard drive of whatever size you want.

You could also consider converting to a newer version. The sticky post at the top of this forum will give you a link to a free download.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:55 PM
  • It is not possible to copy the file to a usb with less than 2gb storage. As you would expect it comes up with the message that there is not enough room to save the file!

Any other ideas?

Monday, July 28, 2014 5:11 AM
  • It is not possible to copy the file to a usb with less than 2gb storage. As you would expect it comes up with the message that there is not enough room to save the file!

Any other ideas?

"The program still works great except for one odd problem. As soon as I print any of the reports, then save the file on exit, the resulting file turns into a 4GB plus file instead of something around 130kb." says that the file is about 130 kb before printing a report. I would put the file into the smaller drive before printing.

1. Is there a stage where the file is not huge?

2. Is  backup file also huge?

3. Do you know how to use the repair function of your version? I have never used a version older than Money 99 =version 7. Do you have a file called salv.exe?

Monday, July 28, 2014 12:31 PM
  • The problem is that the files have changed to 4gb  - both .MNY & .BAK permanently. There is no smaller version available.

The repair function is not listed as a menu option or in help in version 3 - it is a feature of newer versions. No file called salv.exe exists.

Running out of options!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:04 AM
  • Here is what I would try next, but I don't know if it will work.

On a different computer, install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. Put a copy of your Money 3  file onto the other computer.

In the other computer, run

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe

If your other computer uses 64-bit windows, the Program Files might have a different name.

Also know that MNYCoreFiles is hidden. Unhide or type it in.

Try to make a repaired version of your file. Don't try to open your file with Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. Just to the repair. Will it work? I don't know.

There are alternatives if you can't get salv.exe to run. If it runs, and fails, I don't have a way around that-- except maybe you could do the move to the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, which you are not wanting to do.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:34 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it later today.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:11 AM
  • Attempted to repair file without success. 

Got everything up and running, used salve.exe

Hit Begin repair button, and then an error box popped up, Invalid database.

I suspect because it is a different file version. So no way of repairing it to run on my version of money. Perhaps will have to scrap it all and install MSMoney Plus and start all over! 

The only solution seems to be to open the file in MSMoney Plus, which means it will convert the file, repair it compress it and run it on MSMoney Plus. Tried this it worked, and file size has reduced.

So no easy solution! I can't use my old software and will have to start over, unless you can see something I have missed. Not the quickfix I was looking for....

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Salv.exe will do several versions, but apparently not that far back.

You could try File->Export from Sunset.

I don't really know if version 3 could do QIF import, and if it could, would it understand the dates generated by Sunset?  You could experiment. I suspect you are fatigued with this for now.

Do you have an older backup without the problem? If so, suppose you put a copy of that into the 2 GB or smaller volume. Open that up. Make sure it can save a backup. See if it can do File->Export (or whatever the syntax was then). Check that it has File->Import.....

The deal is that you could export QIF files for each account in Sunset. Massage them by removing records that the file you will import into already have. (skip that if importing into a new file). If your experiments show that the date formats are not acceptable, find out what is acceptable by creating a new transaction, export it from V3, and look at it. Then with a text editor (a macro text editor would be best) change the date formats.

I am just loosely laying out the ideas. If you want a more complete explanation of a portion, say so. I don't have V3, so I cannot experiment.

You could consider trying Sunset and V3 concurrently. Maybe you would find a feature that would attract you to Sunset.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:15 AM
  • Thanks for all your ideas & suggestions, I think I am resigned to installing Sunset!

I suspect that no matter what I try the incompatibilty with windows 7 is going to continue to be a problem.

At least we have established that there is a solution, so my 17 years of data is still accessible. Better than having to learn a completely new program, and lose all the data.

So I am going to transfer all my files to the other computer with Sunset installed to convert & compress  them , and then remove MSmoney version 3 and install sunset and then install backed up files! Must say the new interface on Sunset looks way to fussy! MSMoney's V3 attraction was its simplicity.

Great it means that I will regain 24gb of space on my computer.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:36 AM
  • All well I have successfully installed 2 of my files converted & compressed and they are wotking perfectly on MS MOney Plus Sunset Deluxe

However when I repeat the process to install a third file I get this message:

"Microsoft money has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Windows will close the program & notify you if a solution is available."

It then hangs forever and has to be stopped manually.

Solutions I have tried: using different older versions of the .BAK  file before renaming & opening as MNY , using 2 different  .MNY file

Nothing seems to work, it does not appear to relate to the file version.

The only difference with this file is that I have investment accounts, but I assume this should be ok.

Help please!

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:07 AM
  • I doubt it will help, but good to do anyway-- do the patch described in the first post on this forum.

Maybe the method suggested for Money 99 would work... no reason to think it will, but it might be worth a try: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us

On the old V3 install, you could try doing an archive with a date of something like 1/1/1950. That should not delete any transactions, but maybe you will get a good file out of it. Another long shot.

OK... here is another thing to try in Sunset:

With any working Money file open, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.

Then try your conversion. If Money opens then, 
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:31 AM
  • Decided to play with the import export idea that you suggested on the last file that would not convert.

So first created a new file in MSM Plus Sunset.

Then exported each individual account from V3 to usb

Imported each account into the new file. All data there - yeh!

All ok, but lots of time consuming fine tuning & comparing of files needed, eventually the files are identical! Also back to a manageable size.

So all systems go!!!

Many thanks - only saw your last post after I had completed this today. 

Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Congratulations on success.

I hope you imported all of the QIF files all at once with Ctrl+<click>. That lets Money automatically recognize both ends of transfers and to associate the cash transactions with the proper investment transactions. If you imported them separately and still got them working, you have been extra busy.

I don't know if you noticed, but QIF import does not bring in stock symbols. Right-clicking any reference, such as in the Portfolio, can get you to the Investment Details, where you can enter the symbol and more. The Comment box there shows up in the Memo field of the Portfolio. You can sort on that column in the Portfolio, if you like.

I don't know if you go through balancing/reconciling of your cash accounts, but there is a way to mark them all as reconciled if you know the balances are right.

If you wish to start fresh and declare an account balanced, you can
    mark all entries balanced.  Select to show only unreconciled
    transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
    Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
    transactions until none are left showing.  Do not change the
    starting date or starting balance.  The starting balance is the sum
    of the transactions that have already been marked as reconciled.
    Then balance making the ending balance match the known balance.
    Choose the balance date to be the day after your last transaction.
    This is not the normal procedure.  It starts you with an amnesty
    for former balancing.

I don't use the regular balancing process myself, but it may be useful to you.

Also, let me give you some suggestions for backups:

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR or other storage.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

Also, there exists the possibility to download quotes into your Portfolio. http://gaiersoftware.com/money

I also use PocketSense http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ to download credit card and  broker transactions. Most brokers and many credit cards have OFX servers that can be accessed by the scripts. I use a manually-invoked batch file on the laptop and a scheduled task on the desktop to invoke Pocketsense. Ameridan has info on both:   http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/

If you have questions on those, you might want to make a thread on that topic.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:09 PM