none
Patriot Javelin setup RRS feed

• Question

• I bought one of these NAS boxes.  My questions is how do I get this to function properly with WHS 2011?  It has RAID capabilities built into it.  I looked around here about using RAID with WHS 2011 and most of the threads look like they pertain to WHS v1.  I have 4 2Tb drives that I will be adding to it.
    When in doubt empty the magazine...
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 3:36 AM

Answers

• Oh. You definitely appeared to be asking more about installation, even after re-reading your initial post. :)

If your NAS supports iSCSI, you should be able to mount a volume from the NAS on your server via iSCSI (Note that iSCSI is technically not supported, in that you can't configure it through the dashboard). At that point you should be able to use it in the storage pool.

I don't recommend doing this, because a SAN without proper infrastructure usually results in performance issues somewhere, and can cause other issues related to storage too...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by EastBayRae Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:22 AM

All replies

• You will not be able to install Windows Home Server 2011 on the Patriot Javelin; it doesn't come anywhere near meeting the minimum hardware requirements.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I already have a WHS 2011.  I want to use this as a NAS for the WHS 2011 box.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:06 AM
  • Oh. You definitely appeared to be asking more about installation, even after re-reading your initial post. :)

If your NAS supports iSCSI, you should be able to mount a volume from the NAS on your server via iSCSI (Note that iSCSI is technically not supported, in that you can't configure it through the dashboard). At that point you should be able to use it in the storage pool.

I don't recommend doing this, because a SAN without proper infrastructure usually results in performance issues somewhere, and can cause other issues related to storage too...

• Marked as answer by EastBayRae Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:11 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:22 AM
  • This box has been an absolute nightmare to setup/run.  I don't recommend it to anyone.  Like right now.  I see it in the 'Network' drop down.  When I try and map to it the damn thing won't show up.  The documentation provided is horrendous.  
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:11 AM
  • You should probably try Patriot's forum for help. 

Because for a fact, this device does have iSCSI... 16 targets. But you have to configure from the web UI and not from the dashboard.

You'll find more support here:

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-NAS-Javelin-Media-Server

Not sure about your connection drops tho, prolly just a bad unit. RMA??

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:04 PM