none
How to get experience when u dont get it @ work?.. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to be an admin so badly because i think i am a better leader than a follower but i dont have the means at work to get the experience that i want 
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:15 PM

All replies

• For a starter, note that your initial premise is wrong (that the "admin" is a leader). In the context of this Training and Certification forum, we have to assume that the word "admin" refers to an IT Systems Administrator. This is the rol of the person that manages the servers, networks and computers in an enterprise setting. This kind of person should in principle be a follower, i.e., they follow the instructions of a manager in order to implement the functionality or policies established by someone who is higher in the enterprise hierarchy. The "admin" doesn't give orders to anyone (unless it is another more junior admin), so he is not a "leader".

If you still want to gain experience as an admin, install your own set of servers in a virtualized environment. Use Hyper-V in a computer with a lot of RAM and fast disks to implement several servers and client computers, and connect them using virtual networks, set servers to be domain controllers, install various other services, and so on. You can do this using evaluation licenses, which expire after 4 months which should be enough for you to create your virtual environment. If you manage to configure and operate a complete virtual infrastructure that mimics the kind of setup that you would find in an enterprise setting, then you can argue this achievement when seeking employment, and even demonstrate your virtual infrastructure to show off your knowledge.

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:10 AM