none
Join a computer to a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Why do we need to enter a user account domain name and password when joining a computer to a domain? I understand why we provide a computer domain name and password. Thanks! Roland
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• You're providing credentials (username/password) that have the necessary rights in Active Directory to create a new computer account on the Domain Controller.
    That's the key; you're creating a computer account in AD, and you need certain rights to do that, not all logins have that right.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I should have mentioned I am using the Wizard to add the computer (the Wizard can be executed in PowerShell with: SystemPropertiesComputerName). Once you click Network ID, then select 'This computer is part of a business network...', then 'My company uses a network with a domain', and after doing next in the following screen, there is a prompt to enter a user name, password and domain name. It is this particular prompt I don't see the use for. You can even enter a domain that doesn't even exist in your structure and the Wizard accepts it.

The following screens I have no trouble with, we are prompted for the computer name and computer domain (the domain in which we want to add the computer in), then are then prompted to provide the crendentials (username/password/domain) that have the necessary rights in AD to create a new computer account in the domain we just specified.

So again my question, what is the use of the 1st set of credentials? It is even specified in the Wizard that the computer domain (2nd set of credentials) can be different from the user account domain (1st set of credentials). The crendentials that are necessary are the 2nd set. The first set seem completely useless.

Thanks again! 

Friday, February 18, 2011 4:33 PM
  • You might want to post your question in the Server forums, as this is the Training and Certification forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsserver

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, I will.... am new to this.
    Roland Goguen
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:56 PM