Manage security info

• If there is a Windows Live support team, please help.
    I have posted on the forum and have not received any help yet. I have been told, that there is no support for this, is that true.

Manage security info, when I try to delete the email address that is not valid the one used for confirmation, it tells me to follow the confirmation instructions in the email sent to me, it keeps sending to the invalid alternate email account, the message I receive is "We sent your existing security info to the email below (invalid email address) follow the confermation instuctions in the email. I can not delete the invalid alternate email or add a new alternate email or phone number, it is ust a catch 22.

It keeps trying to send the the confirmation instructions to the email account that I no longer have. It will not allow me to confirm a new alternate email address. No one appears to have the answer. I do not have an issue at this time since I can access my MS Accounts, but concerned if I ever need to recover, I will not have a valid alternate email address active.

Wish I could get an answer.In Manage security info it keeps telling me "To confirm, send a message to the addresses listed below and then follow instructions in the message. " As I mentioned the address it attempts to send to is no longer valid.

• Edited by Charbco Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:32 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:40 PM

All replies

• Any news on this, as I am having the same issue.

The alternate address I have was actually my fathers (many many years ago), and suffice to say I haven't lived with my parents for 5+ years and he no longer has that address.

I can't update any security info found in "Manage security info" (including mobile, trusted PCs or other email address - which were perfectly happy to be verified on another page, just for other services).

In my eyes, this is a big usability flaw, as well as a security flaw. If I did forget my password, how could I recover it if it goes to a now unusable email address?!?

I would appreciate any help with this.

Christopher Bull

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I have the same problem here. I no longer have access to my alternate email address, but if I try to delete it or add a new one, or even add a mobile phone number to my account it says that I have to confirm this by clicking on an email sent to that alternate address (for which I don't have access).

EPIC FAIL for Microsoft.

There MUST be a solution to this. Can someone at Microsoft not see how ridiculous this is? If you are trying to remove a backup email address, it's most likely because you no longer have access to that account.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:34 AM
  • yep same here i need to change and use somethings for work and now i cant work cus of this thanks Microsoft i think that i'm going to switch to liniux and cancel all my microsoft things
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:24 AM