i face a problem to open a PDF file , with my brand new hp - pavilion dv3 lap top which has windows vista pre installed RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

whenever i try to open a pdf file , it gets downloaded into word document 97 and it asks me to validate my microsoft license and asks me to type the 25 digit  product key,

when i try to type the same which is on the bottom of lap top  it says it's incorrect what do i do now? i cant open the pdf file  but i have not understood that  why the pdf file is opening in word document 97.

please advise 
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hello faps23,

This does not sound like Windows. 

It sounds like Office is attempting to open the PDF, but the trial version of Office has reached the end of it's trial period and requires a Product Key to continue functioning.  The Product Key on the bottom of the laptop is for Windows only.

Note: If you also have a Licensed copy of Office installed, it may be that when you attempt to launch the PDF, the Trial copy of Office is receiving the Call to Launch instead of the Licensed copy of Office.  The fix for this situation would be to uninstall the Trial version of Office. 

Thank you,
    Darin
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:42 PM