Accessing An Old Windows Vail Drive from a New Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I was running Windows Home Server V2 as a Virtual Machine on Hyper-V R2.  All was well when I decided to upgrade my LAB so I re-installed my Hyper-V Host and was able to boot up to Home Server V2 Virtual Machine.  One day I went to boot the VM and I got an PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error.  I tried numerous methods and was unable to get the machine to boot.  In an attempt to salvage my data that was on this server, I built a new Windows Home Server v2 Virtual Machine and tried to add the old drive as a secondary drive so I could copy the data off of it.  When I boot up I can see the drive in Disk Management as "DE Disk", however when I assign it a drive letter it says that the drive is only 32.7MB and I don't see any of my data.  I also tried to make sure nothing was hidden, but I still can't see any of my videos or pictures.  The version of Windows Home Server V2 that I was running was installed back in July 2010 so I'm not sure if it is the same build as the one I just installed to try and access the data.  I am completely stumped and in need of some help.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:41 PM

Answers

• If the version you're running now is a recent download, then it will not mount the storage pool from the previous public beta release. Microsoft did this intentionally (breaking compatibility) to prevent any lingering unidentified issues in later versions.

You can try reinstalling the old version to see if you can mount the server storage from the previous installation. Other than that, any data is irretrievable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• If the version you're running now is a recent download, then it will not mount the storage pool from the previous public beta release. Microsoft did this intentionally (breaking compatibility) to prevent any lingering unidentified issues in later versions.

You can try reinstalling the old version to see if you can mount the server storage from the previous installation. Other than that, any data is irretrievable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Yeah.  Unfortunately I don't have the old installdvd.iso, just got the new one.  I'll check with some buddies to see if I can find the old copy.

Elliott Fields Jr.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Thanks anyway though :-)
    Elliott Fields Jr.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:19 PM