CRM 4.0 Workgroup Deployment Restrictions RRS feed

• Question

• I've not had to deploy the CRM 4.0 Workgroup version before and was wondering about the restrictions on deployment.

I know about the obvious 5-user limit and single organisation restriction, but I'm not 100% sure about the statement "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup can be installed on a single computer running Microsoft® Windows®..." - does this mean I can ONLY deploy to a single server with everything on that one box (i.e. CRM, SQL, AD, DC etc) or does it simply imply that I cannot install the various CRM server components on different servers (i.e. all on the one 'CRM Server')?

The sitation I'm faced with is a client wishes to deploy CRM 4.0 Workgroup on their current applications server, but host the associated SQL databases on their existing, dedicated SQL server.

Can someone clarify what I'm restricted to with this version?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:33 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Chris,

What the reference to “a single computer running Microsoft Windows”… means is that you can only install a “Full Server” deployment of Workgroup, you cannot install server role groups (or server roles via an XML answer file for that matter – you’ll get blocked if you try).

You can certainly have your Domain Controller, SQL database Server, SQL Reporting Services Server, Exchange Servers all running on separate computers. So hosting the SQL Server on a different computer is not only supported it is recommended.

CRM Community Guru & Saxophonist
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Tye Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:16 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Chris,

What the reference to “a single computer running Microsoft Windows”… means is that you can only install a “Full Server” deployment of Workgroup, you cannot install server role groups (or server roles via an XML answer file for that matter – you’ll get blocked if you try).

You can certainly have your Domain Controller, SQL database Server, SQL Reporting Services Server, Exchange Servers all running on separate computers. So hosting the SQL Server on a different computer is not only supported it is recommended.

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Tye Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Jim. Much appreciated.

As I mentioned, given this was our first Workgroup install I didn't want to turn up on site and find out that I couldn't do what we were planning.

Cheers!
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:10 AM
  • Thanks for promoting this to an answered thread. I wish all readers who get their question answered here did that. Cheers.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:12 AM