My GPT volume is gone. Vail destroyed it. RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vail RC installed on my test machine. OS is installed on single Raptor drive. There are three old drives (2TB each) set as RAID5 (LSI RAID) for one 4TB volume. So in Vail I have this volume as GPT. Was working well, but when I rebooted today there was pompt if I want new disk as MBR or GPT. 4TB is basically gone. Crazy, but sounds scary.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:29 PM

All replies

• Kind of hard to solely blame that on whs 2011.  Could be a hardware issue.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:36 PM
  • It can't be hardware. LSI 9260 card is not reporting anything (i checked all logs). There was no initilaization, nothing.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:59 PM
  • WHS 2011 doesn't support partitions over 2 TB.  I had a RAID5 GPT going, but I split it up because even though it was working, it was not supported by server backup.  I never tried rebooting while I had it going, so I may have had the same problem if I did.  So basically, no support for GPT, or partitions over 2TB for this version of WHS.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Wow, never thought that latest Windows OS not going to support over 2tb partitions. Weird. Well, good to know before investing money in it. I hope Windows Server 2008 R2 supports it. Does it?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:28 PM
  • This is what I know.  Windows 7, and server 2008 r2 support GPT, just not as boot drives.  Like I said, I had a GPT partition running on WHS 2011, but backup of that partition wasn't supported.  I'm pretty sure that the backup service for server 2008 r2 is the same one that is running on WHS 2011.  So it depends on what you are trying to do.  Yeah, I find it a little hard to believe as well.  I'm sure the next gen of windows products will support it, but thats a couple years down the road yet.  Or, maybe they will bring it in with service pack 2.  I hope so.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:36 PM
  • On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 20:28:51 +0000, rmd3003 wrote:

Wow, never thought that latest Windows OS not going to support over 2tb partitions. Weird. Well, good to know before investing money in it. I hope Windows Server 2008 R2 supports it. Does it?

WHS 2011 and Server 2008 R2 (which is what WHS 2011 is based upon) do
    support volumes over 2 TB in size, contrary to what the other responder to
    the thread told you.

The 2 TB limitation only applies to Server Backups in WHS 2011 and full
    volume or image based backups in Server 2008 R2. These types of backups
    store the backup in a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD file) which is the file format
    used for Hyper-V virtual hard disks. VHD files currently have a limit of 2
    TB in size (slightly less than 2 TB actually) which means that any such
    backup cannot use a source volume that is larger than 2 TB in size.
    So there is no limitation in the core OS that would have caused your GPT
    disk to disappear.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:13 AM
  • I have Vail RC installed on my test machine. OS is installed on single Raptor drive. There are three old drives (2TB each) set as RAID5 (LSI RAID) for one 4TB volume. So in Vail I have this volume as GPT. Was working well, but when I rebooted today there was pompt if I want new disk as MBR or GPT. 4TB is basically gone. Crazy, but sounds scary.

If you use the software RAID that comes with windows, you can create partitions over 2 TB's.  I've just done this, and it seems to work fine.

D.W.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:33 PM