Validation status Geographically blocked PID RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Win XP Pro on August 8, 2004, registered it and received status that it was an authentic/genuine copy of Windows XP Pro.  I have since then done many upgrades from SP1 to SP3 and upgraded Windows Media Player and Outlook Express several times, each time with MS authenticating that my copy was genuine. Suddenly, last night after removing SW 'Movavi 6' in order to install the upgrade, after rebooting, my desktop colors & image disappeared and a notice that my XP program was not genuine appeared. How can that be?  Five years of MS authentication and suddenly it thinks I have a counterfit copy.  I need this fixed now.  How do I do it?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hello Dr Dean,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographically blocked key is blocked when it is detected in use outside of the worldwide geographic area(s) and/or region(s) covered by its VL Agreement.  The particular Product Key you are using, which ends in 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, is a widely pirated key, and it looks like it recently (end of March, 2009 for time zones other than USA, and very recently [last week] for some USA time zones) had a geographic block put on it to try to curb its use, which probably explains why it was showing as Genuine up until recently.  If you search the forum for the partial product key, you'll see that many posters have been victimized by the counterfeiting of this product key.

Also note that the installed license for XP Pro is a Volume License.  As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therfore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer, or with the materials you received with the computer, or with your retail purchase of Windows, to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? 

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on your CoA.

5.  Retail packing will have the CoA on the boxtop but the product key will be printed on the inner folder on a yellow-orange label.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If there is a CoA, that means the computer is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows described on the CoA.

If the CoA says that it is for XP Professional, the first thing to try is running the Product Key Updater utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

If the CoA is for any other version or edition of Windows, use the recovery solution or reinstallation disc that came with the computer to put the genuine Windows back onto the computer.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before making any major changes to the installed Windows.

If there is no CoA on the computer or on the Windows packaging (if any), then please post back for further advice.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:06 PM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:30 PM

• Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8365391-23578
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {892532B2-F629-4769-A398-4CD71D1A068D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-458-80070422_025D1FF3-344-80070422_025D1FF3-229-80070422_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-458-80070422_025D1FF3-344-80070422_025D1FF3-229-80070422_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: H:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{892532B2-F629-4769-A398-4CD71D1A068D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>55274-640-8365391-23578</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-1677128483-2147062339</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>CB4C393F01848078</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>2C9B9336A548E06</Val><Hash>1BvFnP9nq5ta7LLDyRzO9UAYqBk=</Hash><Pid>81602-OEM-6877106-75010</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Hello Dr Dean,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with a now-geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

A geographically blocked key is blocked when it is detected in use outside of the worldwide geographic area(s) and/or region(s) covered by its VL Agreement.  The particular Product Key you are using, which ends in 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, is a widely pirated key, and it looks like it recently (end of March, 2009 for time zones other than USA, and very recently [last week] for some USA time zones) had a geographic block put on it to try to curb its use, which probably explains why it was showing as Genuine up until recently.  If you search the forum for the partial product key, you'll see that many posters have been victimized by the counterfeiting of this product key.

Also note that the installed license for XP Pro is a Volume License.  As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therfore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The next step in the process is to look on the computer, or with the materials you received with the computer, or with your retail purchase of Windows, to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or some other version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? 

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on your CoA.

5.  Retail packing will have the CoA on the boxtop but the product key will be printed on the inner folder on a yellow-orange label.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

If there is a CoA, that means the computer is still licensed to run the version and edition of Windows described on the CoA.

If the CoA says that it is for XP Professional, the first thing to try is running the Product Key Updater utility:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

If the CoA is for any other version or edition of Windows, use the recovery solution or reinstallation disc that came with the computer to put the genuine Windows back onto the computer.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before making any major changes to the installed Windows.

If there is no CoA on the computer or on the Windows packaging (if any), then please post back for further advice.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:06 PM
  • I am really stupid and trusting. I expect vendors to be truthful in their advertising. I thought I bought an Academic version of XP Pro which is why I didn't question the price of $129 from an eBay vendor with a high rating. It has the VPK3J at the end so now I know it's phony and I am a victim. I tried to use a product key (using the MS keyupdatetool) from my notebook which lays dormant and unused for over two years, but it didn't work.  Now I have a real problem. I have over 41,000 large graphic & music files on 3 tetrabyte HDDs and I don't know if I install a new Win XP Pro if I'm gonna be screwed.  I weekly use over a thousand purchased SW programs on my system drive. I can reinstall them but it will take many weeks of down time to do that if the new Win XP Pro I install will overwrite them.  I cannot afford to backup all my files nor can I afford a new product key.  I operate a non-profit organization that works with "inner city" kids in music for free.  When I bought the copy of Win XP Pro five years ago I thought I had a legit copy of the Operating System.  Isn't there some good person at Microsoft who can help with my problem.  My website is www.newenglandtalent.org.  The small amount of cash flow from CD sales of these exceptional kids goes into funding more kids. Neither I or those who help me get any money from any that comes in.  For the record I am 72, on Social Security and unable to work.   
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Hello Dr Dean,

Please read this section of the WGA FAQ:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EFIAC

Depending upon the exact circumstances and exactly what materials you purchased, you may qualify for the complimentary offer described in the FAQ.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 7:48 PM