WHS2: Dashboard on W7 Client Hangs with "Preparing Desktop"..... RRS feed

• Question

• I have an unusual issue perhaps somebody out there knowledgeable can help.

Just installed WHS2. I can bring up Dashboard fine on the server.
    However on my W7 Client if I click on Launchpad and select Dashboard, enter password etc. I get a small dark blue popup saying “Preparing your desktop”, hangs forever. Sometimes the blue popup enlarges to the size of the actual Dashboard. But always blue with the above text.

Here is what is interesting;
    IF I have the Dashboard open on the server screen and do the same thing I get a dialog box saying WHS\Administrator has an existing Dashboard session already running...

If I hit OK to terminate that Dashboard THEN dashboard comes up on the W7 client.

Please give suggestions I have found nothing on this forum that describes this.
    Clearly I need to be free to open Dashboard any time on the client!
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:57 AM

Answers

• From the Germans,

Reset the DPI font size to 100%.  I too had this problem until I reset the font size.  Which probably explains why your server re-install worked for a while, then stopped working (when you got around to changing the DPI).  You wonder why MS hasn't addressed or even encountered this issue.  Probably another reason they advise against using the Server as a workstation.  haha.  Best of luck, and do let us know if this fix works for you.

• Proposed as answer by harvester45 Monday, August 15, 2011 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, August 15, 2011 5:37 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Good suggestion on the font size try that first. 

Another thing to try is to create another user on both your client and WHS2011, then try to open dashboard on client.  Rssults could give an indication if the user profile on the client is an issue.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:49 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:12 AM
  • That worked Harvester45! I had in fact adjusted the WHS2 Display to 125%. When I reset it to 100% the client came up fine. Amazing how did you figure that out. I would never have thought of that. Seems like something Microsoft needs to correct as many will have their server display at something other than 100%.

Thanks so much.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:50 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• That would be correct.

If you have an RDP session to the open and the dashboard open on the server desktop you will not as far as I am aware be able to open another dashboard session concurrently. It is the administrator GUI and having two sessions open would create a lot of potential to cause corruption. Therefore only only dashboard will open at one time.

Launchpad is different and should be able to be opened from each and every client concurrently.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 2:43 AM
  • But my problem is I cannot get dashbard to work on the W7 Client UNLESS it is open on the WHS screen.  Interestingly on my laptop (also W7) no problem!!!! it comes up every time even if WHS does not have it open!!!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:42 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem.   Have you found a solution?
    Friday, July 15, 2011 3:01 AM
  • No had to do a complete reinstall!

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:16 AM
  • On the client or the server?  
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:59 AM
  • On the Server!

However just yesterday the problem reappeared. Very Frustrating. The client just hangs.  What is weird is if the Server dashboard is open showing computers backed up etc. There is no problem. The server dashboard window closes and the client one comes up fine.

The whole thing is a mystery to me. It was absolutely fine a week ago.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:35 AM
  • I rebuilt my server last night and have done my client twice from an image.   I guees I will need to take a shot at rebuilding the client from a windows 7 disk vice an image.   I agree that this is frustrating.   As near as I can tell, the client is attempting to establish a remote connection to the server instead of launching the dashboard.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:27 AM
  • A little more info... I find that if you cause the client to hang (i.e. the Dashboard is not already open on the server) you get the "Preparing Desktop Hang".  Once that occurs you have to reboot the client. Just opening the dashboard on the server does not get around the hanging. 

FWIW, if you have the dashboard already open on the server and you boot the client you always get the warning about closing the dashboard on the server screen and the client always seems to come up.

The whole thing is un-nerving however because I worry about what might happen if I need to repair the client. Just cannot trust this thing. That’s why I have Acronis – just in case!

I will be on vacation for next two weeks; bit will look at this forum. If you discover anything please let us all know

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Did anybody solve this issue yet?

• Unproposed as answer by harvester45 Monday, August 15, 2011 6:26 AM
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 8:39 PM
  • From the Germans,

Reset the DPI font size to 100%.  I too had this problem until I reset the font size.  Which probably explains why your server re-install worked for a while, then stopped working (when you got around to changing the DPI).  You wonder why MS hasn't addressed or even encountered this issue.  Probably another reason they advise against using the Server as a workstation.  haha.  Best of luck, and do let us know if this fix works for you.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Monday, August 15, 2011 5:37 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Good suggestion on the font size try that first. 

Another thing to try is to create another user on both your client and WHS2011, then try to open dashboard on client.  Rssults could give an indication if the user profile on the client is an issue.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:49 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:12 AM
  • That worked Harvester45! I had in fact adjusted the WHS2 Display to 125%. When I reset it to 100% the client came up fine. Amazing how did you figure that out. I would never have thought of that. Seems like something Microsoft needs to correct as many will have their server display at something other than 100%.

Thanks so much.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by monahan_z Monday, August 15, 2011 6:50 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Could someone submit a report on Connect so that Microsoft is aware of the problem?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Could someone submit a report on Connect so that Microsoft is aware of the problem?

Knock yourself out, Phil. It's easy enough to reproduce. :)

Though I won't be surprised if it's closed as "Won't Fix" or something similar. After all, using the desktop isn't really supported...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Ken

Not me - I don't fiddle with my systems in that way (not much anyway)! ;-)

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 6:59 PM

Thanks so much.

Ok I have this same problem.. However changing the display to 125% and then back to 100% did not fix the problem. I do not have a problem on my laptop running windows 7, only on my desktop that is running windows 7. Has microsoft implemented a fix yet?
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Dual screens will affect Dashboard opening and displaying properly. If you are running a desktop using dual screens, try disabling one of the monitors. Very inconvenient, UltraMon makes this easier. Unfortunately, many programs will not operate properly with dual screens, I am slowly learning!
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:58 AM
  • From the Germans,

Thanks harvester45, the fix worked for me. I have 2 clients, one Vista and one Win 7. The Win 7 was OK connecting to WHS but the Vista one was always giving me the error. I had thought it had to be the Vista machine at fault and had tried re-installing the connector software but it was still the same. I followed your suggestion and now the Vista machine is connecting as it should.
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:56 PM