none
Capture Image option not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a head node and 64 compute nodes that was running great with HPC 2008.  The apps team wanted to go to R2. So I rebuilt the Head node and I now have 2 compute nodes. Every time I try to capture a node image, it does not work correctly. After initiating, it will go out to the node and remove the node software and then reboot the compute node. The node reboots and goes into PXE, connects to the head node and begins to attempt to capture the image. However the image size it captures seems different each time and so far has been less than 100mb. The image should be more like 3-4gb. It almost seems like it is pulling the wrong portion of the hard drive.  The reference node was built by installing HPC R2 directly onto the compute node on an empty drive then adding the drivers and programs needed.

HPC Topology 2. The networking portion seems fine. It all worked before I went to R2. Deployment of our image worked well.

Is there anyone out there that has gotten the "Capture Image" feature to work?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• Dear Adrian,

Instead of "pre-installing" the node and then capturing the node, are you able to deploy the node from the Head Node (partitioning the disks on the machine and copying over the OS and installing HPC automatically through a template) and then capturing the image for additional deployments?

When the Image Capture feature was implemented it was designed primarily around a workflow where the following steps are taken

1) Deploy Compute Node 2) Customize Compute Node 3) Capture Image of Compute Node for additional deployments

I think you may be running into issues because of how your OS has been installed - I think the Image Capture looks at Partition 0 for the OS Image to capture.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• Marked as answer by PhillyAdmin Monday, September 13, 2010 4:43 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

• Dear Adrian,

Instead of "pre-installing" the node and then capturing the node, are you able to deploy the node from the Head Node (partitioning the disks on the machine and copying over the OS and installing HPC automatically through a template) and then capturing the image for additional deployments?

When the Image Capture feature was implemented it was designed primarily around a workflow where the following steps are taken

1) Deploy Compute Node 2) Customize Compute Node 3) Capture Image of Compute Node for additional deployments

I think you may be running into issues because of how your OS has been installed - I think the Image Capture looks at Partition 0 for the OS Image to capture.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• Marked as answer by PhillyAdmin Monday, September 13, 2010 4:43 PM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Your answer made me look at the way I was doing my deployment. I have since rebuilt my reference node, forcing it to use 1 partition and later on it was no issue to capture the image. After booting to the cd, I did the Shift+F10/diskpart trick.

I still don't see how I could have deployed the OS from the server in the first place. I had a image and template based on the install.wim from the CD but after it deployed, the server could not boot - bootloader missing msg. 

Is there any documentation on how to setup that initial OS deployment?

Thanks!

Friday, September 10, 2010 2:18 PM