Simple Video Streaming From WHS To Win XP computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I've been banging my head on this one. I have a WHS that I built and installed WHS OEM on it and have 3.26TB of storage in it. I currently am running PP3 on it. I am in need of streaming video files to a laptop that is provided by my employer that has Windows XP installed on it. Due to company restrictions, I can not add any software to it. Is there any easy way to stream videos to from WHS to Win XP? I have tried WebGuide, with limited success and recently, I am not able to view any videos, as I am getting errors like:

Server error:There was an error initializing the stream: Error connecting source filter to ASF Writer. Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Is there any easy simple way to do this? I tried playing with WMP, but in following the WHS Technical Brief Media Sharing, but when I got to the part "Select the Find media that others are sharing check box." there wasn't that option.

In the rest of the house, I have picked up a bunch of Xboxs and I have loaded them up with XBMC and they are working great as Media Extenders, but that doesn't help with the XP laptop. Please help, as I'm making my forehead very flat with all of this banging it against the wall.
    :-)

Thanks,
    Ted

Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:26 PM

All replies

• Check out Tversity.  I have it on my WHS with no problems at all.  I only have 2TB but i don't think that will make a difference.  It is easy to install and runs in the back ground.  It gives the option to transcode ont he server so you don't have to install any codecs on the client.  Here are the FAQs for tversity.  I don't think WHS is listed but I KNOW it is compatible.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Not sure about a XP laptop buton my MacBook i can just connect to the server via the finder (network connections) and play or view any of the media files i have saved on my WHS. they play flawlessly over wireless N. might be an option..

Mike
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:19 PM
  • Hello - My name Max and here is your answer

Option 1
    Do a search on the web for popcorn and mediagate.   These companies makedevices that will allow yoo to stream video's directly from your WHS box to one of these devices attached to your TV

Option 2
    Build an HTPC and connect it to the TV and then you can stream video from WHS to the HTPC

Option 3 (what I'm using)
    A) Install My Movies for WHS on the WHS box as well as ANYDVD
    B) Set up a second machine (XP, Vista, Windows 7) and load the my movies Client
    C) Configure Windows Media Center on the Windows Box

With this option, you can now connect an xbox360, Linksys DMA 2100 / 2200, DLINK, or any other extender to your TV's and they will get their data from Windows Media Center which collects from the WHS box.

The amazing thing about the My movies system is that you just insert the DVD into the DVD player attached to the WHS box (I have 4 connected) and it automatically rips them to the WHS server, downloads cover art and actor info, and adds it to the library.  It is really slick and My Moviessupport the ripping of 5 movies at one time.

AnyDVD will cost you about $50.00 and tounlock all the features of My movies about $100.  

Slysoft makes any DVD
    www.mymovies.dk

Max

There is rumor that Microsoft will release Media Center in the next version of WHS next year but itsjust rumor.  There is also hope that with the release of Windows 7 we will see new windows extenders out and hopefully, PP3 for WHS which adds features for Windows 7 and Media center will release later this year.   Last thing is after using Vista with the Dlink exteders - Windows 7 works soooo much better.   Last note on extenders - Hard wired vs wifi is preferred
    WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:13 PM