Repair installation? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that the OS has a server re-installation (which wipes out the C drive, but leaves the D drive in tact).  However, does it have a repair installation (which does not wipe out the C drive, but instead attempts to repair the OS, similar to XP)?  Just curious....

Thanks!

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think the answe is no, Since it wipe out any customiztion when reinstall done, like addon, accounts and a like.

My best.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:48 PM
  • WHS doesn't have a repair option exposed like XP/Vista. I'm only guessing, but the reason is probably that the average user won't have any way to make choices about reinstalling; there won't be KVM ports available on the server. So you just have the recovery option.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think the answe is no, Since it wipe out any customiztion when reinstall done, like addon, accounts and a like.

My best.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:48 PM
  • WHS doesn't have a repair option exposed like XP/Vista. I'm only guessing, but the reason is probably that the average user won't have any way to make choices about reinstalling; there won't be KVM ports available on the server. So you just have the recovery option.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Kens answer is correct, the OEM version which I got earlier this week,( New Zealand) - The first install didn't exactly go to good.  After the second reboot it wouldn't bring up the administrator log in window, simply skipped it and went straight to desktop. Then got an error message stating some services didn't start, check logs - Yeah right- empty.

First Hic Up with OEM  ??

I reinstalled the OS which left the Data part alone and only gave the choice of New Install or Repair install.

I selected Repair, and it formatted the C drive, reloaded the OS - this time working OK.

So the Non Distruct reinstall like in XP isn't available.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 8:02 AM