Client computer intermittently can't see WHS network shares after waking from S3 Sleep RRS feed

• Question

• As my title suggests, I am having a problem with a particular client computer when waking from S3 Sleep. Let me try and give some background first. I'm not sure whether this is specifically WHS related, but as it has occurred on multiple builds of the same computer, perhaps it is.

I have a DIY WHS on my home network, which is all wired with GigE. I have the WHS Connector installed on all my Windows computers, and they wake up, perform a WHS backup, then go back to sleep every night. Great. Each windows computer has a shortcut installed on the desktop providing a link to the WHS shares (Users, Photos, Videos, etc). You can double-click that, and an explorer window opens up showing those network shares.

For one of my computers however, upon waking it up from sleep, these network shares are not visible. Explorer will go into an infinite hourglass trying to open the shares on my WHS. If I open the network explorer, it won't find my WHS. However, it finds all other computers on my network, as well as accessing the internet. Rules out an overall network issue. Here is where it get's strange. I can open the WHS console just fine! I can also ping the WHS with it's fixed IP address, as well as with it's computer-name. So the client computer recognizes that the WHS is there. If an application trys to access something that is on the WHS (ie. use the local MyMovies client, which is accessing the MyMovies server installed on the WHS), the application will hang. It's very frustrating, and the only resolution is to restart the computer. That defeats the purpose of sleep. On top of this, it only occurs intermittently. But once it does occur, putting it to sleep will not fix it (where fix means explorer access to the WHS), only a reboot will.

Here is where it gets even stranger. This has occured on multiple computers, but only those computers which have the same computer-name. I had two different GeForce 9300 based mobos, with either Vista or Win7. They both exhibited the same problem. Note that these were upgrades to the same computer. I would give the replacement motheboard installation the same computer-name, in this case: Media-Room. I then decided to upgrade again. This time I went with a new Intel H55M chipset. Same computer-name as before, Media-Room, with Win7 64-bit. I had the same problem with explore not seeing the WHS upon waking from sleep! Could it be that I have kept the same computer name for the various upgrades? I even deleted all computer backups for the media-room computers that were uninstalled. I tried moving the computer to different spots on my home network, using the same GbE switch that works for other computers. No luck!

I am at wits end. Only thing I have not tried is renaming the computer, but maybe that's the next thing to try.

Anybody have any ideas why windows explorer on this client computer would stop seeing the WHS? What's baffling is that the computer does see the WHS, as ping, remote desktop and WHS console all work!
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• If you leave the affected PC running after resuming from S3 sleep and check back again 20 - 30 minutes later, does it now find the server correctly? If so, this is a Windows Networking issue. Whenever you turn on a new PC on the network a master browser election may occur and it sometimes takes a while until the new master browser has crawled the network and gotten all of the names / IP addresses correct.

Possible workarounds (if this is what's happening) are to put the server into the same workgroup as the rest of the PCs, or to add an entry to the affected PC's hosts file with the server's IP address, or to configure the server to always be the master browser. I would try the workarounds in that order (simplest to most complicated).
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:30 PM
  • If you leave the affected PC running after resuming from S3 sleep and check back again 20 - 30 minutes later, does it now find the server correctly? If so, this is a Windows Networking issue. Whenever you turn on a new PC on the network a master browser election may occur and it sometimes takes a while until the new master browser has crawled the network and gotten all of the names / IP addresses correct.

Possible workarounds (if this is what's happening) are to put the server into the same workgroup as the rest of the PCs, or to add an entry to the affected PC's hosts file with the server's IP address, or to configure the server to always be the master browser. I would try the workarounds in that order (simplest to most complicated).

Very interesting comments, thanks! I realize now that I may not have set the WORKGROUP to the same as the other computers on my network, after the new installation. I have a custom WORKGROUP name, but I might have forgotten to set it. I will check when I get home, as well as verify if your 20-30 minute works. I do indeed try an access the WHS right away, as that is where all of my media is. I did think of manually editing the hosts file, but couldn't find it last night. If the workgroup change doesn't fix things, I can easily do the /etc/hosts change as the WHS has a fixed IP address.

Does the Windows networking issue that you describe make complete sense for my scenario? Why would I be able to ping, remote desktop and open WHS console, yet not use Explorer? Or are these other utilities separate from Windows Networking.

Thanks again for your help, you could very well be a lifesaver! If I can get this issue to be stable, my expensive HTPC hobbby will finally get the "wife approval"! ;-)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Most of the other methods use the IP address of the server, which does not rely on name resolution.

The hosts file is at C:\Windows\System32\etc\hosts. If you need to edit the file, copy it to your desktop, edit it, then copy it back. You'll get a UAC prompt to acknowledge the copy operation.

On my network I had to resort to the last fix in my earlier list, configuring the server to always be the master browser on the network, because any time that a Windows 7 PC was turned on it would win the browser election and the network name resolution would be screwed up for 10 - 15 minutes. I can refer you to instructions if it comes to that.

Friday, February 19, 2010 7:08 PM
  • On my network I had to resort to the last fix in my earlier list, configuring the server to always be the master browser on the network, because any time that a Windows 7 PC was turned on it would win the browser election and the network name resolution would be screwed up for 10 - 15 minutes. I can refer you to instructions if it comes to that.

Mark, that needs to be submitted to Microsoft as a bug. A desktop OS should never win a browser election vs. Windows Server 2003, assuming default configuration on both. If you haven't changed the priority of the Windows 7 computer that was winning, or on your server, then something is broken there...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Ken:

The Windows 7 PCs had default settings (IsDomainMaster was false and MaintainServerList was auto on the W7 PCs) but I recall having to change the server. I changed the server keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters to IsDomainMaster = true and MaintainServerList = true on the server.

Before I submit a bug report, if you (or anyone monitoring this thread) have a default WHS install could you check the settings of these two registry keys on your WHS machine?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Ken:

The Windows 7 PCs had default settings (IsDomainMaster was false and MaintainServerList was auto on the W7 PCs) but I recall having to change the server. I changed the server keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters to IsDomainMaster = true and MaintainServerList = true on the server.

Before I submit a bug report, if you (or anyone monitoring this thread) have a default WHS install could you check the settings of these two registry keys on your WHS machine?
    For me (and I've never changed it because mine has always worked):

IsDomainMaster = FALSE
    MaintainServerList = Yes (not sure how you got true on that one).
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Yes, true, and 1 are all equal and valid choices for the key's argument.

That's interesting about the IsDomainMaster setting. FALSE does not seem correct for a server:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsNT/RegistryTips/Network/PreferredMasterBrowser.html
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:15 PM
  • IsDomainMaster provides a priority boost, though I'm a few thousand miles from my server this week and can't check it. However, Windows Server OSes should have a built-in priority boost over desktop OSes anyway; that parameter should just increase the likelihood that that particular server wins the election amongst all servers. I wish I could find the KB article that discusses this...
    Friday, February 19, 2010 10:50 PM
  • Ken:

For me (and I've never changed it because mine has always worked):

IsDomainMaster = FALSE
    MaintainServerList = Yes (not sure how you got true on that one).
    Mine are set the same way on my WHS. However, I don't have the key IsDomainMaster under Parameters on any of my Windows 7 client machines. Is this okay? 
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Mine are set the same way on my WHS. However, I don't have the key IsDomainMaster under Parameters on any of my Windows 7 client machines. Is this okay? 

Yes; that's okay - you do not want this setting to be active on a client machine. The key must be present and set to TRUE in order for this setting to become active. If the key is missing then that's a correct configuration for a client OS.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Well it looks like I might have to resort to the registry hacks listed above which shouldn't be necessary. ;-( I already had my WORKGROUP set to be the same as the other computers. I also changed the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to hardcode the WHS's IP address to it's hostname. Worked for a couple of wake from sleep cycles, so I thought I had it licked! But alas, this morning, Windows Explorer and Network would not find my WHS shares or computer. Matter of fact, the Network Explorer windows just keep scrolling the green progress bar at the top, looking for another machine (I guess). I let it be for abut 30-minutes, and it was still scrolling green, searching for computers. That points to me something wrong with the client Win 7 computer, and maybe this browser priority thing has nothing to do with it.

UPDATE #1: I made the registry change to my WHS and rebooted. It made no difference.

Just don't know why none of my other Win7 computers have issues. Any why have multiple computer builds with the same host name have issues? Could there be something "stuck" in the WHS installation that is causing the problem? In other words, could the host name MEDIA-ROOM be the problem? I have done 3-4 different harware builds, all with the same hostname, all added to the WHS, then removed. Heck, I might as well try it!
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:50 PM
  • I've done a complete reinstall of windows on this computer, and it still makes no difference. Renaming the computer to something else also made no difference. After waking from a couple of sleep cycles, explorer connection to the WHS is lost. I can ping to the WHS and open the WHS Console, but can't find it with Network Explorer or access any shared folders on it.

This is really a weird one...

Friday, March 5, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Tell us about the hardware then.

--
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Like my original post states, this has occured on different motherboard / cpu platforms. I currently have Win 7 home premium 64-bit running on a GigaByte GA-H55M-UD2H motherboard, Intel i5 CPU, 2GB DDR3, LiteOn Blu-Ray drive, antec EA430 power-supply and antec fusion case. Only devices plugged in are Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard and gyration media-center remote control. I get the same problem whether those are plugged in or not.

I can put computer to sleep and wake it up several times before I get the loss of Windows Explorer connection to the WHS. I can access the internet and other computers on the network just fine. It's just that the client computer can't open a network share on the WHS. Other computers can access the WHS's network shares just fine after waking up from sleep. It's just *this* computer that has problems! As I've stated before, the client can ping the WHS and open the WHS console. Other computer and the WHS can access the client computer just fine. It's just the one direction that breaks. Only way to recover is to reboot.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:21 PM
  • This points to an issue with either the client PC hardware/software or with the network path between the client PC and the server. It's not the server, because other computers don't have a problem accessing the shares.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Just a curious question - what is the setting on the TCP/IP Properties/Advanced/WINS tab for NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
    If this is not used (or set to get settings from the DHCP server, and a consumer DHCP server usually is not aware of such settings) a winning client would be no surprise.
    Editing the hosts points to name resolution via DNS, which is a different thing.
    Regarding the failing access to shares, would the situation change, if you open device manager on client and server and check the Power Management settings for the network card (if necessary uncheck "The computer may disable this device to save power")?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Just a curious question - what is the setting on the TCP/IP Properties/Advanced/WINS tab for NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
    If this is not used (or set to get settings from the DHCP server, and a consumer DHCP server usually is not aware of such settings) a winning client would be no surprise.
    Editing the hosts points to name resolution via DNS, which is a different thing.
    Regarding the failing access to shares, would the situation change, if you open device manager on client and server and check the Power Management settings for the network card (if necessary uncheck "The computer may disable this device to save power")?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

I'm not in front of the computer now, so I don't have access to those settings in device manager. It seems that Windows cannot see the WHS, but the connection is indeed there because the client can ping the server and can open a WHS console! The Windows Network Explorer and Windows Explorer cannot see the WHS, but all other computers are fine. What has blocked windows on the client from seeing the WHS??

My WHS has a fixed IP address. Perhaps I will try and fix the IP address of the client, just to see if this makes a difference. I have even swapped out routers, from a Linksys to a Netgear, and have the same problem!! I've changed the fixed IP address on the WHS, to no avail. Even changing the hostname of the client made no difference.

I realize this is *probably* not a WHS issue, but I thought this would be a good place to come for answers. :-) Remember that the same problem occured on two totally different hardware systems. It just so happens that the replacement was serving the same htpc function, in the same location in the house. I've moved the computer to different points on the network, but it still makes no difference. That the thing that seems so weird to me...
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:42 PM
  • On the Windows 7 PC are you using a "Home" profile? Is network discovery turned on?
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:32 AM
  • (grasping at straws a bit here) I assume you know the server's IP address? What happens when you try to open the shares that way, i.e. \\192.168.1.4\Music? Windows Home Server uses different discovery mechanisms for different purposes, so it's (still) possible that there's a name resolution issue...
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:51 AM
  • It's a home profile and network discovery is on. In the condition it goes bad, when I open Network, it shows the other computers, just not the WHS. I cannot access the shares, regardless of whether I use the fixed IP address or the WHS hostname.

It's a very intermittent problem. After one wake cycle, opening Network will show other computers, except WHS. However, I can go directly to the WHS via host name or fixed IP address via Window Explorer w/out any problems.

Next wake cycle, opening Network shows all computers including WHS.

Following wake cycle, WHS is not visible in Network, nor can I connect to it.

I have just done a dozen sleep/wake cycles, and the WHS was present after all the wakes. I've changed nothing, so this is jsut a temporary thing. ie. it's not fixed.

Thanks again to everyone to giving me hints of what to look for.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Can you give us the results of ipconfig /all on your server, on a computer that never has a problem, and on the computer that has the problem, please?
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:17 PM

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- WHS ipconfig /all results ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : arnott-server Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigab it Ethernet Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-15-9C-9B-E4 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether net Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-15-EA-62-A9 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.250 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.YY.47.61 XXX.YY.47.62 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Good Machine ipconfig /all results ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Katys-Shuttle Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ether net Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-1B-BD-B1-1E DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::54e4:d6ca:52f0:a2d2%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:15:08 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 07, 2010 7:15:09 AM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234893339 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-8D-43-3A-00-30-1B-BD-A1-BF DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{06876207-C1CE-4502-A9EB-683CCBA83D75}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c35:80d:3f57:feec(Prefe rred) Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c35:80d:3f57:feec%13(Preferred) Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : :: NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Bad Machine ipconfig /all results ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media-Room Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-0E-03-65 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dd90:af01:2ab1:7c41%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.13(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:56:50 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 07, 2010 12:01:45 AM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 242020425 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-02-B3-E7-6C-F0-49-0E-03-65 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{9FB9B3D3-68E0-4C44-9A2C-1BB2B95D88DD}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:2836:149a:b3a7:a269(Pref erred) Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2836:149a:b3a7:a269%13(Preferred) Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : :: NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    I don't see anything that stands out. Note that I have X'd out the DNS Servers.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:20 PM

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- WHS ipconfig /all results ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : arnott-server ... Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.YY.47.61 XXX.YY.47.62 ...
    Yes, I noticed. A little odd, considering that probably hundreds of thousands of other folks have the same DNS servers, but whatever. :)

Worth a try: set your server to use your router as it's DNS server, just like your desktops. Also worth a try: turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your server.

Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:54 PM

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- WHS ipconfig /all results ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : arnott-server ... Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.YY.47.61 XXX.YY.47.62 ...
    Yes, I noticed. A little odd, considering that probably hundreds of thousands of other folks have the same DNS servers, but whatever. :)

Worth a try: set your server to use your router as it's DNS server, just like your desktops. Also worth a try: turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your server.

Perhaps I was being a bit paranoid about privacy w.r.t. the DNS Server! ;-)

Okay, I've made the changes you suggested and will do some more testing.

Thanks for your time and help!
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Since we're really grasping at straws here, have you tried disabling ipv6 on the problem machine?

Just to illustrate how unlikely events can sometimes mess up Windows networking, I spent the weekend helping our daughter move. New state, new ISP, yet one PC would not let go of the old (Comcast) DNS servers even though the adapter was set on automatic and the new ISP (Time Warner) obviously had different DNS server addresses. Rebooting, disabling the network adapter, etc, did not help. So in a last grasp at a straw I entered two manual (bogus) DNS server addresses, saved the changes, then went back and checked "automatic" and that finally worked.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem (WHS - W7 64).

The only thing that works for me is this idea from Ken:  \\192.168.1.4\Music

But when it happens I also cannot change properties of the NIC or shutdown.

The only thing that solves the problem is a reset of the pc.

From others pc's in the same network there is no problem (at the same time).

In fact there is one, the WHS is not shown in the network window.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:15 PM
  • I've been trying to resolve this same issue for over a month. Here is what I know about the problem so far:

1. Happens on a W7 x64 system with wired ethernet, but not on a W7 x86 system with Wi-Fi connection.

2. I cannot see the files when mounted to a drive letter (i.e. P:) and when accessed via UNC (i.e. \\server\\Photos), but I can when I use the IP address of the WHS (i.e. \\192.168.1.6\Photos).

3. I use Offline Files to keep some of the files in the shares visible and accessible when the network share is not accessible. When the network share is not visible, Explorer reports it as "Offline status: Offline (not connected)."

4. Sometimes the network shares come back so I can see all of the files and folders ("Offline status: Available"), but when I go to write a file to it, the network share goes offline again.

5. All computers (WHS, W7 x64, W7 x86) get IP addresses assigned from DSL modem.

6. On the W7 x64 client, can still access  WHS through the WHS Console and nightly backups still work, even when the network shares are offline.

7. Not all network shares are in the same state -- some shares are online and others are offline. When browsing \\server\, some folders are online (Music, Public, Recorded TV, Software, Videos) and others (Photos, Users) are offline.

8. For reference, my network to drive letter map is -- P: = \\server\Photos; m: = \\server\Music; s: = \\server\Users\Family; u: = \\servers\Users\%username%\Documents.

9. Pinging the IP address and server name works.

If I had to guess, the problem lies with the W7 x64 box or with the wired Ethernet setup. It's not a physical Ethernet problem because of #7, #9 above. I can also browse the Internet just fine.

Any help to get to get a permanent fix for this would be appreciated.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Seeing no response on this thread, I contacted Microsoft Support via email. After several email exchanges and multiple phone calls over the past month, Microsoft indicated that there isn't a hotfix available for it yet.

For now I'm running a temporary workaround where Offline Files is disabled (Control Panel / Sync Center / Manage offline files / Disable offline files). Though all of the files are visible on the network shares, it takes ~20 seconds for the network to be active again after the computer wakes from sleep.

Friday, August 6, 2010 5:56 AM
  • I've been struggling with similar problems for the past couple of months - i.e. since I bought an Acer H340 running WHS.  My Windows 7-64 PC sees it most of the time - in fact it had been running fine for about 3 weeks, but since yesterday it's been off an on.  That's either after booting (machine turned off by a shutdown) or resuming from hibernation.  The only quick fix I found is to reboot the router (DLink DIR-655), after which I am able to see the WHS machine by name.  Note that when the name won't resolve, I can still access it by IP (not ideal though.)

I also have a Dlink DNS-323 NAS which runs some variant of Linux.  Its name is also not resolvable when the WHS one disappears, so the problem is not limited to the WHS machine.

Things I've tried in the past have been do get rid of the "homegroup" in Windows 7 (I also have a Windows 7 laptop but I do not care about the clients seeing each other, so I don't care about the homegroup.)  All machines are in the same workgroup.  I also changed the network from "Home" to "Work" (someone was suggesting that on Superuser.com, I believe.)  I think it's after that change that I had to good 3-week run.

I haven't tried any changes in the registry nor altering the hosts file.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that with home networking having been around for so long, they still can't get it right.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:06 PM
  • I am the original one to start this tread back in February 2010. I tried various hacks and tricks to my WHS. I have been stable for a few months, then suddenly it happened to me the other day! I normally put my Media-Center computer to S3 sleep when not in use. It's upon waking it up that I have the problem. Via Explorer window, the client computer can see other computers on my network, but not the WHS (DIY a home build). Sometimes if I wait 30-seconds, it will find the hostname and open a folder. Othertimes I am forced to reboot before it finds the WHS again. As indicated above, I can connect to the WHS via remote desktop or via the WHS console. It's just that the client cannot access any of the folder shares on the WHS.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:15 PM
  • I can connect via remote desktop and WHS console, but not with the "host name", just by entering the IP address explicitly.

I've now modified my hosts file, as suggested earlier in this thread.  If the problem happens again, I'll wait a bit to see if it is just slow resolving network names.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:26 PM
  • Well I don't know if this will help or add to confusion.  I have an MSI motherboard with an Nvidia chipset and network adapter.  Everything worked fine until a week ago when all of a sudden the machine failed to back up to WHS, after some troubleshooting I found that the machine was loosing connection to the WHS, seem to be affecting everything, not just share access.  The internet worked fine and otherwise the machine is fine so I guessed it might be a driver issue.  I tried a USB to Ethernet adapter I had laying around and it seemed to work fine, but since that arrangement wasn't ideal and only supported fast ethernet, I purchased and installed a NetGear GA311 PCI Ethernet adapter.  It works quite well except that I now of the problem described here, wake from sleep, no network shares, reboot and they are back.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:06 PM
  • One more person with the same problem here. Running Win7 x64 on a new Asus laptop, and after resuming from sleep or hibernate most of the time I am no longer able to access my WHS shares by computer name. Accessing by IP address works fine (including shares), and accessing other computers by name works fine. Reboot will fix the issue, but logoff/on has no effect.

I first thought it was a power issue and spent some time disabling all of my power reducing options for the wireless card. Also lowered the NTLM security requirements on the Win7 machine. Kind of glad to find this thread, actually, at least I know I'm not the only one.

WHS is an HP EX495, btw. A different laptop running Win7 x64 does not have the issue at all.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 7:41 PM
  • UPDATE

I "think" I might have finally figured this out.

Anyone having this issue, as stupid as it sounds, please delete your existing shares and recreate them.  I can replicate this issue by changing workgroups, and leaving the existing shares in place.  Shares eventually disapear, PC hangs on shutdown with "logging off" message, etc.  Delete the old shares, everthng seems to work fine, recreate the shares, no problems.

One of the last few things I tried is working now for 5 days as a work around, or a solution.

Change the workgroup to something else, reboot, then back, and reboot.

I also tried selecting a Work network in the Network and sharing center, then ended up changing it back to home.

Finally I added a share using the IP address of the server \\172.16.0.1\Sharename, and since I did this I have not had a problem after numerous suspends, and reboots.  I also no longer get the hang when shutting down.

Just wondering, anyone else having this problem, did it start after making changes to the workgroup?

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Thanks, going to try it now. This issue is random enough that I'm going to give it a few days and report back whether it helped in my case.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Unfortunately no affect for me after making those changes, got the problem just a few hours later. Very annoying... especially since my documents are redirected there it tends to really hose the system and I have to reboot to get back to normal.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Have you made any changes to the workgroup?  The annoying thing here is that in all the dinking around, I have fixed my issue.  Do you remember doing anything prior to this starting?  Any changes to the server, add DHCP, WINS, change the workgroup name, server name, anything?

And to confirm when the problem happens you can still bring up the shares by going to \\\IP.ADDRESS.OF.SERVER\ ???

I am going to figure this out dammit!

One last question, In services is Network DDE and Network DDE DSM enabled and running?  My WD HD Live stopped seeing the WHS network shares, even though the XP boxes could,  Those servcies were disabled, and once I turned them on it started working fine.  Dunno if it is related.

My Win7 box has been fine for 5 days now.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Well, for me I was not able to get to the \\IPADDRESS share either (I thought that would work, but it didn't).

I can't think what it would be on the server, since I have another Windows 7 laptop that is working fine and has never had the issue. Neither laptop has any Network DDE services listed as installed.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Well, ok....  Now I don't feel so bad.  Yet, I feel duped.  Let me explain- I just bought a small server less than a week ago.  I have discovered the WHS is just much too finicky.  I am having this same problem.  Which, is a little frustrating, because this was a huge draw to me- move my music off my local hard drive and store it on the server.  I am sure if I use Window media player it'll work fine, but that's not how I have my music.  Not sure what move to make here, but my server in my computer is a little sad.
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:50 PM
  • For the record, I have spent the last 15 years in tech support, and I am I life long Cubs fan.  What this means is I like pain, and I don't give up easily.

One more thing I found tonite, since the problem started AGAIN, is that if I try to access through \\servername  OR \\172.16.0.1 I get nothing. But somewhere I picked up Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net, and if I try to access \\servername.mshome.net IT FRIKKEN WORKS!!  I don't know what this means, but I refuse to reimage my machine.

I can't believe MS hasn't looked into this.  This isn't the first time this has happened, I tried and discarded WHS a few years ago because of the very same issue.

I'm about to pull out Wireshark and teach myself how to use it.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:19 AM
  • One more thing I found tonite, since the problem started AGAIN, is that if I try to access through \\servername  OR \\172.16.0.1 I get nothing. But somewhere I picked up Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net, and if I try to access \\servername.mshome.net IT FRIKKEN WORKS!!  I don't know what this means, but I refuse to reimage my machine.

Confirmed that this behavior is also what I'm seeing.

I'd love to see a packet capture if you get Wireshark going. My laptop wireless card unfortunately doesn't support a capture mode. :(

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:02 AM
  • I have been reading this thread with interest after having almost exactly the same issues with a new Acer Win7 x64 laptop this week. The only difference I have is that I don't have a WHS, I just have a Netgear Readynas on my home network with various shares available on it.

I have two other Win7 machines (one wired desktop x64 and one wireless x86 (need to check this) laptop), both of those have always and continue to be able to always access the shares on the nas either via host name (\\nas\share) or via ip.

The new laptop on resuming from sleep will intermittently fail to be able to get to any of the shares (either mapped drives or just by typing the address in explorer). Pinging the host name still works and resolves to the correct ip address.

Upon one unsuccessful attempt, windows explorer will hang (although I can kill it), then I will be unable to log off, as in Windows will sit indefinitely on the Logging Off screen, until I force a power off by holding the power button for 4 seconds and rebooting...

I could probably live with always using the IP address as a work around, but this is a laptop for the wife and obviously she just wants this to work, like any of the other PC's not to have to work around a problem!

Did anyone finally resolve this issue?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:17 AM
  • I never did. I've been hoping that when I eventually upgrade to WHS V2 it would help with this issue.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:42 PM