none
have I been sold a fake copy of Office 2007

Question

• Sorry if this is the wrong forum I could not find a better place.

I have bought what was advertised as a retail copy of Office 2007 on Gumtree. It was described as a genuine retail copy that was eligible for updates. I have been sent a shop bought CD from France with the name written on it in felt tip pen. I have challenged the seller but he says it is a legitimate retail digital copy. How can I tell if it is a fake, which is what I suspect?

I paid via PayPal but obviously don't want to cause a fuss if it is genuine, but also do not want a fake.

regards

Derek

Sunday, August 2, 2015 5:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• In this case, the MGADiag tool should give us enough information....

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool

(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once saved, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.x

- in your own thread, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 6:52 PM
    Answerer
  • I have not loaded the disc yet as the laptop it was intended for was returned as faulty. Would I be able to produce the MGADiag report with the disc in the CD drive of my desktop PC? There is no COA sticker as I was just sold a disc.
    • Edited by The Hood 88 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:27 PM
  • I am 99% certain that it will be counterfeit.

Unfortunately, without installing it, it's impossible to be sure - but as far as I can remember the only legal source for Office 2007 by download was MS itself.

Bear in mind that Office 2007 is now 3 generations old (there have since been Office 2010, 2013 and 365) - and MS stopped selling retail versions back in 2009 with the release of Office 2010.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:14 AM
    Answerer
  • With the retail versions, as far as I am aware (but may be wrong) it is O.K. to uninstall them and sell them on. I thought this was such a copy where the owner had updated and moved on to a newer version, but I am sure it is a fake and wanted to stop others being duped.I took out a dispute with PayPal and the seller has now (today) refunded my money which makes me even more suspicious. I have the disc, the PayPal details, a copy of the advert and contact details. Is there somewhere to pass them on to?

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:26 PM
  • You can report them to MS on their piracy site...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 4:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the link.
    Friday, August 7, 2015 11:48 AM