none
From RC1 to OEM, Change small system disk and keep files? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS RC1 running with the following harddrives added to the pool:
    120 GB IDE (system disk)
    200 GB IDE (Data)
    250 GB IDE (Data)
    400 GB USB (Data)

This makes in total 910 GB with 218 GB free, only some folders duplicated.

Now I'm sitting here with the OEM DVD and two brand new 500 GB Samsung Sata  HDDs.  Of  course  I now  want  to  correct my mistake with making the smallest drive carry the system. My goal is to remove the 120 GB HDD, and to have system installed on one of my new 500GB drives.
    How do I do this best? Is there a way of doing this and also do a reinstall (to keep the files on the other disk on the server)?

Free space on the drive is greater than the size of my small system disk. Can I choose "Remove" and have WHS balancing over the system files to another drive - and if so, can I decide which drive it should choose as system drive?

At the moment I've plugged one of the new disks to a home computer on the network and am backing upp some of the files from the server, to minimize risk of losing them during the upgrade.

Any help or links are greatly appreciated!

/Bjorn
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:56 AM

Answers

• No, WHS will not let you remove the system disk from the pool. However, you should be able to just install a new, larger disk in place of the current 120 GB disk, then install the OEM software. At the beginning of setup, you should be asked what kind of installation you want to do, and be given the option of a clean install and a server reinstallation. You'll choose reinstallation, and you won't lose any files, though if WHS had stored part of the backup database on the system disk, you could lose backups, and you will lose users and OS customizations like add-ins, installed software, etc.

Given that you were previously running beta software, backing up before a reinstallation (as you're currently doing) is an excellent idea.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:22 PM
  •  BjornUppsala wrote:
    Thanks! You mean that I can choose Reinstallation even if I have Disconnected the System disk?

Yes as long as setup can see any drives from a previous install you can do a reinstallation

BjornUppsala wrote:
    I see one problem though. I think I've read somewhere that WHS during install decides which HDD to use for system depending on where the disk is connected, not letting the user decide this. Is this not true?
    The System disk is on IDE, and my new big ones are S-ATA, so I can't attach them to the IDE slot where my system disk is currently sitting. Will I be able to point the install to my new fresh S-ATA?

You will have to cofigure the BIOS to make the SATA controller the primary controller.

BjornUppsala wrote:
    And a follow-up question. From what you´re saying, the system disks second partition only contains Computer Back-ups, user acounts, add-ins and other installed software. Isn't it then a waste to use one of my two biggest drives as the system-drive? I will mainly use the server to store media files (photos, videos and so on) - i.e. the 500GB disk will not be used for anything other than keeping the system going, and not to store files?

The primary data partition is also kept on the system drives. New files are cpoied to the primary data partition before DE migrates the data to the other drives. A larger system drive means that more data can be transferred to the server before DE has to migrate the files. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:29 PM

All replies

• No, WHS will not let you remove the system disk from the pool. However, you should be able to just install a new, larger disk in place of the current 120 GB disk, then install the OEM software. At the beginning of setup, you should be asked what kind of installation you want to do, and be given the option of a clean install and a server reinstallation. You'll choose reinstallation, and you won't lose any files, though if WHS had stored part of the backup database on the system disk, you could lose backups, and you will lose users and OS customizations like add-ins, installed software, etc.

Given that you were previously running beta software, backing up before a reinstallation (as you're currently doing) is an excellent idea.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Thanks! You mean that I can choose Reinstallation even if I have Disconnected the System disk?

I see one problem though. I think I've read somewhere that WHS during install decides which HDD to use for system depending on where the disk is connected, not letting the user decide this. Is this not true?
    The System disk is on IDE, and my new big ones are S-ATA, so I can't attach them to the IDE slot where my system disk is currently sitting. Will I be able to point the install to my new fresh S-ATA?

And a follow-up question. From what you´re saying, the system disks second partition only contains Computer Back-ups, user acounts, add-ins and other installed software. Isn't it then a waste to use one of my two biggest drives as the system-drive? I will mainly use the server to store media files (photos, videos and so on) - i.e. the 500GB disk will not be used for anything other than keeping the system going, and not to store files?

I only have three PCs to backup, and will not install 300GB of add-ins... Then a 200 GB harddisk would be enough for system disk?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

/Björn
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:50 PM
  •  BjornUppsala wrote:
    Thanks! You mean that I can choose Reinstallation even if I have Disconnected the System disk?

Yes as long as setup can see any drives from a previous install you can do a reinstallation

BjornUppsala wrote:

You will have to cofigure the BIOS to make the SATA controller the primary controller.

BjornUppsala wrote:

The primary data partition is also kept on the system drives. New files are cpoied to the primary data partition before DE migrates the data to the other drives. A larger system drive means that more data can be transferred to the server before DE has to migrate the files. 

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for the input guys, I'm still copying my server-files, but now feel reassured on how I should go about when installing system (reinstalling OEM). Hope to find a Bios-setting for "primary controller", haven't thought of/seen this option bin bios before and am guessing it's something other than Boot order (where you only can set CD, HDD et.c.

/Björn
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I´m glad i made my backups. Never got the option to reinstall server, only new install was available. Am now copying all media back. Never got to choose which HDD to install to either, of course it picked my smallest drive... Couldn´t find any settings in Bios either to controll this (ABIT AN78X-E Deluxe).

Now I could have controlled which drive to install to by disconnecting the two other drives, but that on the other hand would have meant that there would be no chance of a reinstall... Also I had to try several times booting from WHS DVD before I could manually load drivers for all drives and not get an error-message something like "Couldn't find drive to install system ". So when I had the chance to install system and all drives were visible I took it, even though I didn't know which drive would be used for system.

If it's really important for performance that the biggest drive is system disk I think Microsoft in an update should let the user decide which drive to use and not let Bios and controllers decide.

Well now I at least got the server up and running, and am able to copy all the files back to it. And I've also got a double size system drive compared to my RC1 setup (system was installed to my 250GB instead of 120GB). Now I'm just hoping that it's big enough).

During install the system alerted me there was a USB disk connected and told me to disconnect it to be able to continue... This was the USB-disk I had connected during RC1, and which I thought would be recognised and included in the pool without being formatted. When I connected it again after WHS-install had finished, it had to be added to pool (and formatted of course) to be available in the pool.

/b
    Friday, October 19, 2007 8:29 AM
  • The way you control which drive you're installing on is by moving drives around on the connectors. If it insisted on installing to your smallest drive, I would swap the cables on that one and your largest drive, then reinstall. It's only a few hours of time...
    Friday, October 19, 2007 8:09 PM