Perhaps Dell should be required to fix this problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a different number on the label on the bottom of my laptop from the one that appears when I run the coa tool.

As Dell shipped a restore CD with this, and not an actual OS cd, I am not able to reload windows in the fashion suggested to crunch in what is likely the genuine number that the recent patch is looking for.

I am wondering how the burden of correcting this issue has been put on the consumer, when the problem exists in the production line of Dell.

I am also wondering if the purchase price of the OS cd from retails stores will now drop down to the $20.00 level as there is no longer going to be any piracy, which is what drove the price up above $300.00. Well from the staples website it is only $279.99 each, before tax, shipping & handling, and then re-purchasing after you find out that it is possibly not Geniune. 

It should be noted that I own three other laptops from other vendors, and two Alienware desktop systems. I am not having any problems with those five other computers.

Sunday, May 7, 2006 4:58 PM

Answers

• I understand the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We have seen many issues where System Builders may have used Invalid Product keys to install their systems. This has in fact caused problems for their customers. Genuine Advantage assists Microsoft customers determine the validity of their Windows Software so they can take full advantage of the Genuine Benefits.

WGA assists customers in determining the validity of their Windows installation to ensure they received the Genuine copy of Windows they have paid.

If you could create a free support incident at this location we will be able to assist you in determining the validity of the product key and the options available to you at this time. To include assistance in changing your Product Key to a valid key.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

In the support incident you create above and NOT in this forum also provide us with the Product Key that was used to install Windows on your computer.

Could you please also run the Diagnostic tool here and provide us the information:

After running the tool you can use the copy function to copy and paste the info from the tool into your case note before submitting the incident. 

Thank you and I trust we will be able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction very soon...

Hth

Dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:31 AM

All replies

• When Dell preinstalls their OEM version of Windows XP at the factory, they use a customized image using a universal Product Key.  That Product Key is a "one time" Product Key and is not the same Product Key affixed to your Dell PC.
    Sunday, May 7, 2006 6:48 PM
  •  Leroy777 wrote:
    When Dell preinstalls their OEM version of Windows XP at the factory, they use a customized image using a universal Product Key.  That Product Key is a "one time" Product Key and is not the same Product Key affixed to your Dell PC.

It should be noted that I own three other laptops from other vendors, and two Alienware desktop systems. I am not having any problems with those five other computers.

btw - the Dell is a standalone, with the OS loaded by Dell. I have already purchased one license for each computer I own [no, really!] yet the Dell is having piracy issues with MicroSoft.

again - should not Dell be fixing this issue with Microsoft, and not the end user?

Sunday, May 7, 2006 7:15 PM
  • Try the following workaround: The WGA Diagnostic Tool has been updated to correct a problem experienced by some users. Please download and execute it from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try again.

Sunday, May 7, 2006 9:27 PM
  •  Leroy777 wrote:

Try the following workaround: The WGA Diagnostic Tool has been updated to correct a problem experienced by some users. Please download and execute it from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and try again.

Still appears to be a problem.
    Again, I ask why the end user is fixing an issue created by the vendor?

Report from website after running your workaround follows:

You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.

The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

There are several reasons why a product key may not be considered genuine.

The Windows product key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. If Windows came pre-installed on your computer, learn how to get genuine below.

The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

• Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine below.

If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key. Each computer must have its own unique product key.

Monday, May 8, 2006 2:20 AM
  • OEM SLP machines should not be encountering WGA. It is automatically checked and then bypassed. If you are experinecing an actual issue I have been unable to identify it in your post.

Could you please explain the issue you are experiencing and providing us with an error code and the wgadiag tool info in this post...

thanks

dave

Monday, May 8, 2006 3:32 AM
  •  Dave MS wrote:

OEM SLP machines should not be encountering WGA. It is automatically checked and then bypassed. If you are experinecing an actual issue I have been unable to identify it in your post.

Could you please explain the issue you are experiencing and providing us with an error code and the wgadiag tool info in this post...

thanks

dave

\humor on

[Hal2001]: I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that right now. 

\humor off

Error message: Dude, your dell has pirated software!

Herewith the contents of my clipboard:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM
    Windows Product Key Hash: W9oNvBRsiyuwnnUS3Z41cRuAWcM=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-365-6725323-22987
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    Download Center code: 5F3YM8C
    ID: a5534207-e2af-4996-a01f-1854405ced64
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>a5534207-e2af-4996-a01f-1854405ced64</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PID>76487-365-6725323-22987</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-329068152-1957994488-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron XPS Gen2               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050224000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2D000101020101000101030101150EDF8681AE5BFA619412D289EE179B3F24976D926BDAC30000000000000000</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, May 8, 2006 12:50 PM
  • Joe, does that product key above match the COA sticker on your Dell OEM machine?

The "Invalid Product Key" messages is from Keys identified as stolen, lost, or generated from a non-Microsoft sanctioned Key Generator.

Let me know about the COA and Product Key match.

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 8, 2006 5:25 PM
  • No. The number label on the bottom of the laptop doesn't match the one that is built into the recovery disk from Dell.

Again:

Why is this my problem, and not Dell's?

Monday, May 8, 2006 7:43 PM
  • No. The number label on the bottom of the laptop doesn't match the one that is built into the recovery disk from Dell.

Again:

Why is this my problem, and not Dell's? I'm not really trying to be obstinate, no one has answered this question, yet.

Monday, May 8, 2006 7:44 PM
  • I dont think the manufacturesr are to blame here. I'm in the same boat I paid out for XP professional when I purchased my Systemax PC 4 years ago. Obviously the copy is genuine and paid for. The problem is entirely this validation *** dished out by Microsoft. I can well appreciate the need to prevent fraud but I am the innocent victim of Microsoft's stupid approach. I've paid the money for it- the arrangements between Microsoft and the manufacturers for licensing is entirely a Microsoft issue. What a way to treat customers! I guess the answer is to install some other browser and just leave it. Or is it?
    Monday, May 8, 2006 8:15 PM
  • has some tool been created to key in the valid code that exists on the bottom of my computer

to fix the invalid code that I did not key in?

Have you reconsidered your business practice of punishing the consumer for something that they are a double victim of?

Once, from whomever is the real crook, that pirated whatever got loaded onto their computer, and again, by forcing them to fix whatever they didn't do.

I'm not trying for something impolite. These are serious questions.

I wouldn't want to be in charge of handling all of the angry people on this thread, I think you all are doing a great job of trying to answer everyone.

Joe

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:05 AM
  • I understand the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We have seen many issues where System Builders may have used Invalid Product keys to install their systems. This has in fact caused problems for their customers. Genuine Advantage assists Microsoft customers determine the validity of their Windows Software so they can take full advantage of the Genuine Benefits.

WGA assists customers in determining the validity of their Windows installation to ensure they received the Genuine copy of Windows they have paid.

If you could create a free support incident at this location we will be able to assist you in determining the validity of the product key and the options available to you at this time. To include assistance in changing your Product Key to a valid key.

In the support incident you create above and NOT in this forum also provide us with the Product Key that was used to install Windows on your computer.

Could you please also run the Diagnostic tool here and provide us the information:

After running the tool you can use the copy function to copy and paste the info from the tool into your case note before submitting the incident. 

Thank you and I trust we will be able to resolve this issue to your satisfaction very soon...

Hth

Dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:31 AM
  • It should be noted that I own three other laptops from other vendors, and two Alienware desktop systems. I am not having any problems with those five other computers.

btw - the Dell is a standalone, with the OS loaded by Dell. I have already purchased one license for each computer I own [no, really!] yet the Dell is having piracy issues with MicroSoft.

again - should not Dell be fixing this issue with Microsoft, and not the end user?

see above for my copy and paste of the tool for the Genuine Benefit.

I'm not going to pay any more money for this operating system, it was included in the purchase price of the Dell laptop.

If you should find a tool that lets me fix the typo that doesn't match the label on the bottom of the computer, please let me know.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 5:01 PM