Too much load seems to drop a drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have my HTPC running media center and archiving shows to my WHS box automactilly. However, if I start watching a show that is on the WHS while one is being archived. Sometimes the drive just disappear. The quick fix is to shut down the machine and for good measure flip the switch in the PSU off.

None of the 4 drives in my machines throw any SMART errors and temperatures around 32 degrees seem correct. Any ideas what I can do to solve this issue or keep trouble shooting? Thanks

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:55 PM

All replies

• What's your CPU load when this happens?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I am going to have to reproduce the error later tonight to find out. It is an AMD Sempron 145 which was really cheap, but I figured it would enough as the premade boxes come with atom chips.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:19 PM
  • You don't give any detail about your hardware, but in general the issue you describe is likely to be indicative of poorly written drivers, or of issues with the HDD controller or server BIOS. My money is on drivers.

As for how you might fix the issue, if you relied on generic drivers included with Windows, see if the manufacturer has Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers, or Windows 7 x64 drivers, for any of your hardware. Also check to see if there's an updated BIOS for your motherboard.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:30 PM
  • I think that's all that is on the box, I am going to have to double check but I believe I did use some win7 drivers along the way

BIOSTAR A880G+

AMD Sempron 145

Sargas 2.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

4 x Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W

ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express

I think thats all that is on the box, I am going to have to double check but I believe I did use some win7 drivers along the way

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I updated the BIOS, there was one newer version.

I could not find specific win server 2008 drivers for my motherboard, I will take that into account in the future when buying a new board.

Since I had to reset CMOS for the new drivers, I decided to keep the optimal settings. No Unlocking Core and increasing timings in RAM to what is rated at, for example.

CPU load does not peak to 100% very much.  I tried to reproduce the error by streaming a show to the htpc while archiving shows to the whs 2011 box, tried to start several backups from different clients, and had the wife 30 secs skip video playback back and forth.

So far, I had not managed to drop a hard drive again. But, when a backup starts the video streaming starts stuttering and the server responds by utilizing less resources for backup. Then, the stuttering stop. Skipping 30 secs in the video streaming is what I noticed peaks disk and cpu load the most.

Hopefully I have fixed this issue and it doesn't come back. :)

Thanks for suggestions.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:21 AM