Windows Mobile Client Suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

•  The following are suggestions regarding the Windows Mobile client.

1.  Add Favorites support.  It would be nice if I could sync my favorites as well.

2.  Don't require an existing Mesh folder to be put in /Live Folders/ on the storage card or main memory.  I know it is possible, because a new folder added to the Mesh from the WM client can be anywhere on the machine.

3.  Allow us to change the default file explorer that is used when I double click on a folder in the WM client.

4.  Build "Start automatically on reboot" into the client.  In a perfect world, I'd like this feature to somehow be delayed (to give my phone time to fully boot up and be ready for a net connection.)

5.  Allow setting to "Run in Background" as a service.

6.  Mini icon when running in background.  Some apps, like Pocket Informant and TomTom put a mini icon in the bottom of the screen, it would be nice if this was an option or feature.

7. Sync calendar, contacts, & email to a desktop running Outlook or Outlook Express. 

8.  User configurable limit before WM client refuses to sync.  This limit should be in megabytes, not a percentage.  Using a percentage doesn't scale well as newer devices and cards are released, with higher values.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:02 AM

All replies

• I would like to see synchronization with Onenote added.  I currently have to bring my mobile back to my desktop and sync via bluetooth to get notes back to Onenote on my desktop (where they are synced to up mesh and my laptops).
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:26 AM
  • To be able to change the icon appearing in the Device Ring to refelct the device in question. Eg Desktop PC, Laptop, PDA, Smartphone.

It's only a cosmetic thing but it should be there in the finished product.

This could either be via drop down list (as in Live Sync/Foldershare) or, even better, via an automatic reading of sync.ico files when installing the client software.

For example, my main phone (HTC Tytn) shows up as the correct T-Mobile variant in WMDC because I placed an icon file called sync.ico in the Windows directory before carrying out the first sync so now when it's plugged in a see my actual phone rather than the default (and really rather ugly!) Vista icon for a PDA. It would be good if the Mesh Client could do a similar thing when adding a new device.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:50 PM
  • 1.  D-pad navigation would be nice.

2.  More information on what is or will happen and how long it will take.  For example on first synchronization of client, would be nice to inform user "Synchronizing 50 files, total size 5 MB.  Synchronizing will take approximately 5 minutes.  Please make sure you have enough battery power remaining".   Then "Synchronizing 1/50... 5 min remaining"... "Synchronizing 2/50... 4 min remaining"... "Synchronizing 49/50.. 1 min remaining".. etc.

• Edited by vinhant Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:38 PM