none
Lesson on learning how to develop Self Serving BI Portal on Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to get in-class room lesson to learn how to develop self serving reporting site on SharePoint

I know how to write SQL query, but have no background in web development.  I reached out to a couple of the training companies and I have been suggested to take M10267. I wanted get your feedback on the lesson, whether or not it really helps, and if there's a better lesson I can take. 

I appreciate any suggestions or recommendations,

thanks,

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:11 PM

Answers

• No, 10267 is not the right course. This is the "Introduction to ASP.NET 4" course. While it is true that you can program a reporting site using ASP.NET, this is probably not what you have in mind when you are thinking about integrating reports with Sharepoint. The course that teaches how to use SQL Server Reporting Services (including their Sharepoint-integrated mode) is the first half of 10778A ("Implementing data models and reports with SQL Server 2012"). The other half is devoted to multidimensional databases, which are a different topic, but it may still interest you since it teaches how to use PowerPivot in Excel, and how it integrates into SharePoint. If I recall correctly, there is also some coverage of PowerView in Sharepoint.

You may also be interested in 20467B ("Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012") which covers (among other things) the Design of a Reporting Services Solution and a Sharepoint Server BI Solution. It covers the various types of reports that you may wish to present with or without Sharepoint (Formal Reports, Data Exploration and Analysis, Analytical Data Mashups, Scorecards, Dashboards) as well as the various reporting tools that may serve for producing those reports (Reporting Services, Excel, PerformancePoint services).

Friday, May 2, 2014 7:27 AM