neither Money Sunset nor Money 2005 can open my Money 2005 file RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Money Small Business 2005 for many years.  My computer died. 

I bought a new computer, installed Money 2005 on the new computer from my OEM Money CD-ROM, copied over my money.mny file from my backup hard-drive to the new computer, and tried to run Money.  It refuses to open the file.  I am able to open the sample.mny file.  The version of Money 2005 is 14.0.150.805. 

I also downloaded Money Plus Sunset Home & Business but it was also unable to open my money.mny file.   The version of Money Sunset is 17.0.150.3817.

Both programs produce something like the following: Money cannot locate 'C:\..... or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent back-up file. If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.

I've done a million searches here and it seems that the version of Money 2005 on my old computer must have been an updated version (1105?), and so my money.mny file is somehow formatted for that updated version and therefore cannot be opened by the original version of Money 2005.  The automatic updating within Money 2005 is no longer operable, so my newly-installed version cannot update itself.  I downloaded the updating file at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26922 and ran it, but it gave me an error msg that there was already a newer version on my computer (?).  Also, that seems to be an update to the international version of Money 2005, and I can't find a U.S. version.

Why the Sunset can't open my money.mny file is a mystery to me.

Sorry if this is an established problem but I'm not finding a solution and I just want to see if those who are knowledgable or have run into this can tell me:

Am I screwed?

Friday, July 29, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

• Are you in the US? If so, the Money Plus Sunset Home and Business is what you should install on the new computer. If not in the US, say so.

Close Money.

Copy your "my money.mny" file from the old computer to a USB flash drive.  Then copy the file from the USB flash drive to your Documents folder. In Windows Explorer, right-click the "my money.mny" file, and choose Open.

Once into Money, go to  Tools->Options->Backup to set the backups to a place that exists on the new computer. Use Browse to help find a place that exists. Consider your backup strategy. You may want to make the upon-exit  backup to be a place in your Documnents folder, and put your scheduled backup on a Flash drive. 

Friday, July 29, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Yes, U.S.

Yes, I have installed Money Plus Sunset Home & Business version 17.0.150.3817. It won't open my money.mny file. It gives the following error msg: Money cannot locate 'C:\..... or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent back-up file. If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.

When I try to open the backup file, I get the same msg.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Did you right click on your money.mny file and choose open?

Is the file maybe "Read Only" - Right click and choose "Properties" and uncheck "Read Only"

If on Windows 7, make sure that the the file in your "My Documents" folder, not in "Program Files"

Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Yes, U.S.

Yes, I have installed Money Plus Sunset Home & Business version 17.0.150.3817. It won't open my money.mny file. It gives the following error msg: Money cannot locate 'C:\..... or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent back-up file. If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.

When I try to open the backup file, I get the same msg.

I think you are saying that you get that error message just after right-clicking your "my money.mny" file in Documents and before doing more clicking.

Let's try another method. Close Money. Open Money by right-clicking the launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator. (Click Yes to the User Account Control box.)

Once inside Money, File->Open, and browse to the "my money.mny" file in Documents. Click the Open button. If you have a later problem let us know. You don't want to be using RunAsAdministrator each time. The once may fix things, and if not, it will at least will point us to the solution.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:21 AM
  • Did you right click on your money.mny file and choose open?

yes -- it says Money will convert, I click Next, then I get the above-quoted error msg

Is the file maybe "Read Only" -

no

If on Windows 7, make sure that the the file in your "My Documents" folder

it is

Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:46 PM
  •  

Let's try another method. Close Money. Open Money by right-clicking the launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator. (Click Yes to the User Account Control box.)

Once inside Money, File->Open, and browse to the "my money.mny" file in Documents. Click the Open button.

it says Money will convert, I click Next, then I get the above-quoted error msg

Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:48 PM
  • You opened Money with RunAsAdministrator. The last thing you did before getting the error message was to click Open. You show your error message this way:

•  Money cannot locate 'C:\..... or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent back-up file. If the file is being used by another application, close it in the other application and click OK to try again.

What is the full path in the message that preceeds the first 'or' of the message? (you can substitute userName for the username). Is it  "C:\Users\userName\Documents\my money.mny" ???

If so, in a Command window (DOS window), try this command with the quotes:

dir "C:\Users\userName\Documents\my money.mny"

Remember userName stands for your username. Do you get the message "The system cannot find the path specified."? The point is, does the file with that path exist?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:05 PM
  • I tried it again just now to make sure.  It says D:\Documents\financial\money.mny 

Here's what the command window shows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\EPJ>dir "d:\Documents\financial\money.mny"
     Volume in drive D has no label.
     Volume Serial Number is 44DB-C55C

Directory of d:\Documents\financial

07/29/2011  11:01 AM        15,327,232 money.mny
                   1 File(s)     15,327,232 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  166,848,872,448 bytes free

C:\Users\EPJ>

Money is seeing the file, because it thinks it needs to convert the file (which seems odd to me).  Then when I click Next to convert, it gives the error msg.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Please enter the following command into a command window:

copy D:\Documents\financial\money.mny  C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\

Then try to open C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\money.mny

Open Money by right-clicking the launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator.

Once inside Money, File->Open, and browse to the C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\money.mny file in Documents. Click the Open button.

You may later want to move where your Money file is, but let's get a success first by getting your file to a familiar place that you will have sure access to.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Same result: it says Money will convert, I click Next, then I get the error msg

BTW, am I correct in assuming that Money Plus Sunset Home & Business is supposed to able to open a money.mny file that was saved by Money Small Business 2005?
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Weird. Try making a repaired version of C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\money.mny.

Within Money,  File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 will start the process.

Alternatively, run "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe"

That does the same thing, but with a command-line invocation.

See if the repaired file works better, or if there is some kind of unfixable error.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:15 PM
  • This produced the following error msg:

---------------------------
    Error
    The utility could not repair your file. Repair a different version of your file, restore a backup file, or re-install Money. You should also make sure your file is not saved as read-only.(0x800a1470)
    OK  

Assuming for the moment that Money Plus Sunset Home & Business is NOT supposed to be able to open a money.mny file that was saved by Money Small Business 2005, how could I update Money Small Business 2005 from 14.0.150.805 (the version of my new installation from my old CD-ROM) to the version I had before the crash, which I assume was 14.0.150.1105?  I can't find a U.S. version of this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26922

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:26 PM
  • That is informative. Make sure that the attrib command, in a command window, shows that the file does not have the R (read-only) attribute. I doubt that is the case, but it may be worth checking. Alternatively, use Windows Explorer to make sure the file does not have the read-only attribute set. Yet I don't think that is going to be the problem. That copy command would typically have removed the read-only attribute on the copy, and it was a copy that you were trying the repair on.

From this point, I suggest copying your two most recent backups (*.mbf) from your old system to your C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\ folder.

I would prefer to use a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 format as the intermediate media. That will make sure that no ownership information gets brought over with the file(s).

Open the most recent *.mbf. Within Money, File->Restore is the common way.

Do not restore to the default place, but instead Browse to C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\ and choose a new name.

If there is a problem, try your second-newest backup file.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Cal and Dominic: I tried all of that, but same result.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:30 PM
    1. Clean out all traces of Money using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895866. Use the steps for Vista.
    2. Delete all copies of your Money data files.
    3. Install a fresh copy of Sunset Home & Business.
    4. Take ownership of your backup drive, as described previously.
    5. Copy your Money data file from your backup drive to your C:\Users\EPJ\Documents area.
    6. Then open Money and see if it will read your file.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:21 PM

I don't think you meant that one literally.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:24 PM
  • It seems to me that your original datafile is not compatible with US Money Sunset.

You need to find a version of Money 2005 level 1105 to open it. You could try using the Money 2005 QFE2 International version, which is available here, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26922 

I've just installed a version of that on a test system and been able to open and use a money file created by the UK Money 2005 level 1105. Therefore, if the International version can read a "localised" 1105 from Money UK, I would hope it could do the same for a US file.

Anyway, worth a go as you appear to fast running out of straws to clutch.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:00 PM

I don't think you meant that one literally.

From his Windows 7 system I did.

The permissions they have are uncertain.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:33 PM
    1. Clean out all traces of Money using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895866. Use the steps for Vista.
    3. Install a fresh copy of Sunset Home & Business.
    4. Take ownership of your backup drive, as described previously.
    5. Copy your Money data file from your backup drive to your C:\Users\EPJ\Documents area.
    6. Then open Money and see if it will read your file.

same result
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:17 AM
  • You could try using the Money 2005 QFE2 International version

same result

I just wish there were a way to update my Money 2005 v.805 to v.1105. Why did Microsoft make it available for int'l but not U.S.?!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:18 AM
  •  Copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by right-clicking that file in the Documents folder from Windows Explorer and choosing Open. Does that work?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:15 AM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320193.

If that does not work, your Money data file must be badly corrupted. Google for "microsoft money file repair": there are paid for file repair services.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:25 AM
  •  Copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by right-clicking that file in the Documents folder from Windows Explorer and choosing Open. Does that work?

yes
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:33 PM

yes

Next copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\sample.mny from the old computer to your Documents folder on the new computer. Rename that file to be sam05.mny. Open Money by right-clicking sam05.mny in the Documents folder from Windows Explorer and choosing Open. Does that work?
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:38 PM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320193.

If that does not work, your Money data file must be badly corrupted. Google for "microsoft money file repair": there are paid for file repair services.

same result

The only Money file repair program I found is $200 and presumably non-refundable.

It just seems too coincidental to believe that the file became corrupted at the very same time I had to install the program on a new computer.  Just a few days ago, I used Money and it worked just fine, and I've never had any corruption problem before.  Are you sure that Money Plus Sunset Home & Business is even capable of opening a non-corrupted Money Small Business 2005 file? 

I still wish I could update Money Small Business 2005 v.14.0.150.805 to v.14.0.150.1105.  I bet it would open my file just fine.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Next copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\sample.mny from the old computer to your Documents folder on the new computer. Rename that file to be sam05.mny. Open Money by right-clicking sam05.mny in the Documents folder from Windows Explorer and choosing Open. Does that work?

yes
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Next copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\sample.mny from the old computer to your Documents folder on the new computer. Rename that file to be sam05.mny. Open Money by right-clicking sam05.mny in the Documents folder from Windows Explorer and choosing Open. Does that work?

yes

OK. Your new Sunset installation seems to work. It is compatible with the installation on your old system.

What I would like to see is the *.mny, *.mbf, and *.m14 names, sizes and timestamps and file attributes. You can get this in a command window with these two commands

dir *.m??

attrib *.m?? 

in your Documents folder. One thing I am thining about is a problem with a problem with a write protected *.m14 file, tho that would not explain the succession of failures. So I am hoping something stands out.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:13 PM
  • I'm wondering how badly your old computer "died"?

Does the old disk that had the Money installation and/or your data still power-on?

Did you use Windows compression on the old machine?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I must be doing something wrong:

C:\Users\EPJ>dir *.m??
     Volume in drive C is OS
     Volume Serial Number is 5611-F8EE

Directory of C:\Users\EPJ

File Not Found

C:\Users\EPJ>attrib *.m??
    File not found - *.m??

C:\Users\EPJ>

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:01 PM

Does the old disk that had the Money installation and/or your data still power-on?

no

not that I recall

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:01 PM

no

not that I recall

OK, you would know if you used compression because filenames appear in BLUE.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:05 PM
  • To get to the Documents folder, from there, do

cd documents

To get there from elsewhere,

cd C:\Users\EP\Documents

Once in Documents, you can do those other commands.

(case not significant in paths or filenames)

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Thanks (I am DOS-clueless).

C:\Users\EPJ>cd documents

C:\Users\EPJ\Documents>dir *.m??
     Volume in drive C is OS
     Volume Serial Number is 5611-F8EE

Directory of C:\Users\EPJ\Documents

07/30/2011  10:46 AM        15,327,232 money.M14
    07/30/2011  10:46 AM        15,327,232 money.mny
    07/29/2011  11:01 AM        15,331,352 MoneyBackup.mbf
    07/31/2011  12:44 PM         8,253,440 sam05.mny.mny
                   4 File(s)     54,239,256 bytes
                   0 Dir(s)  19,010,174,976 bytes free

C:\Users\EPJ\Documents>attrib *.m??
    A            C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\money.M14
    A            C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\money.mny
    A            C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\MoneyBackup.mbf
    A            C:\Users\EPJ\Documents\sam05.mny.mny

C:\Users\EPJ\Documents>

Just FYI, there are two files called money, one created 11/4/09 and one created today (apparently when there was a failed conversion), and neither will open.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:13 PM
  • It just seems too coincidental to believe that the file became corrupted at the very same time I had to install the program on a new computer.  Just a few days ago, I used Money and it worked just fine, and I've never had any corruption problem before.  Are you sure that Money Plus Sunset Home & Business is even capable of opening a non-corrupted Money Small Business 2005 file? 

I still wish I could update Money Small Business 2005 v.14.0.150.805 to v.14.0.150.1105.  I bet it would open my file just fine.

I agree. I don't think your file is either physically or logically damaged.
    If you were able to run your existing level of Money it would work. I suspect the problem with later versions not be able to open it is due to it being based on a Small business version. Even testing Sunset with a previous (Small Business) Sample file is no guarantee your file would work. Unless the sample file used all possible data structures within the file, you're not comparing like with like.

The problem has been further complicated by a fairly useless error message from Money. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "catch all" error messages used to cover multiple error situations. It makes accurate problem diagnosis almost impossible.

You say your old disk will not power on. Is that whilst still in your old machine ? If so, would you be able to try it in a USB enclosure ?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:18 PM
  • You say your old disk will not power on. Is that whilst still in your old machine ? If so, would you be able to try it in a USB enclosure ?

The old machine won't power on.  I wanted to get a new one anyway, so I didn't bother trying to get the old one fixed (especially with the labor costs involved). 

I don't know what USB enclosure means, and I really don't want to hire someone to deal with this.  I just thought maybe there was some simple software fix that I could do myself with help from this forum. 

If only I could update Money 2005, I really think I could open the file, and then maybe export the data into some format that Sunset could import, and then use Sunset from then on.

If I lose the file, i.e. if I can't update 2005 and if Sunset won't open it, it's not the end of the world. I can creata a new file in Sunset and enter my 2011 invoices, expenses, etc.  Before giving up, though I'll wait until the nice folks on this forum tell me it's hopless (or they run out of patience!).

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:30 PM
  • If you haven't dealt with USB enclosure's and the like don't worry. They are an easy way to take a disk device and house it externally and access it via a USB cable but it's not worth going down that route just for this.

I assume your current general file backups do NOT include any system related folders, for example Program Files ?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Here are anomalies from what I expected.

File named sam05.mny.mny instead of sam05.mny    -- not a big deal.

There is no sam05.mny.m14 file. Now that file would have been created when you did the successful conversion of the sample from the old drive. That does not match what I would expect from what you have done. So maybe you did not do what you thought you had done. I would rename sam05.mny.mny  to sam05.mny  and open that file. Expect  sam05.m14 file to be created as Money Plus Sunset converts the sample from the old drive.

Only one *.mbf file present (MoneyBackup.mbf). Is that the one and only *.mbf file that you had from the old drive? I understand that you deleted some files and then re-did some operations.

So here is what I fear. Your old money.mny file is corrupted, and salv.exe will not fix it.

Your only *.mbf was MoneyBackup.mbf from the old drive. I don't know why the date is new.

Did you maybe make another backup from the old installation and put that on flash or CD media? Checking for *.mny, *.mbf files on the old drive would seem worthwhile to see what else might be available. Long shot or not, it is what I see as your best hope on this.

I understand the DOS commands are not something that you or most people commonly use. A big advantage is that it is easy to cause clearly describe an action without having to do a narative that may be more ambiguous.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:42 PM
  •  

I assume your current general file backups do NOT include any system related folders, for example Program Files ?

Correct; just documents, music, etc.  I use SyncToy.  I guess I should have been doing proper, full-blown back-ups, but I've never done that in my life.  Live and learn.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:43 PM
  •  

There is no sam05.mny.m14 file. Now that file would have been created when you did the successful conversion of the sample from the old drive. That does not match what I would expect from what you have done. So maybe you did not do what you thought you had done.

You're right about my confusion; sorry.  There was no Money 2005 sample file in my back-up drive; just my own money file and MoneyBackup file. The sample file I have been successfully opening was originally in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus. 

• Edited by ej76az Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:57 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:47 PM
  •  

Only one *.mbf file present (MoneyBackup.mbf). Is that the one and only *.mbf file that you had from the old drive? I understand that you deleted some files and then re-did some operations.

Yes, there was always only one backup file.  BTW, it says it was created 11/14/09.

Did you maybe make another backup from the old installation and put that on flash or CD media? Checking for *.mny, *.mbf files on the old drive would seem worthwhile to see what else might be available. Long shot or not, it is what I see as your best hope on this.

No, my backup drive only has the two files: money and MoneyBackup.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:51 PM
  •  

There was no sample file in my back-up drive; just my own money file and MoneyBackup file. The sample file was originally in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus.

So you're currently using Money Sunset to open a Money Sunset sample file, NOT a sample file from Money Small Business (level 1105). As I mentioned before, you're not comparing like with like.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:52 PM
  •  

Correct; just documents, music, etc.  I use SyncToy.  I guess I should have been doing proper, full-blown back-ups, but I've never done that in my life.  Live and learn.

From posts here when people run into problems it appears as if (unfortunately) you're not alone.
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:58 PM
  •  

There was no sample file in my back-up drive; just my own money file and MoneyBackup file. The sample file was originally in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus.

So you're currently using Money Sunset to open a Money Sunset sample file, NOT a sample file from Money Small Business (level 1105). As I mentioned before, you're not comparing like with like.

Correct.  I have no Money 2005 1105 sample file.  I could install Money 2005 again (I uninstalled as instructed by someone earlier) (or maybe the sample file is on the CD-ROM) and then open that sample file in Sunset, but that sample file would be Money 2005 version 14.0.150.805, not 1105, so that would not be comparing like with like either (since my money file is presumably version 1105).
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:01 PM
  • I don't know if this is interesting to anyone, but...

I copied the SAMPLE money file from my Money Small Business 2005 CD-ROM to My Documents and then double-clicked that file.  Money Sunset came on and said it needed to convert the file, so I clicked next, and it successfully converted the file and opened it up. 

So now I know that Money Plus Sunset Home & Business v. 17.0.150.3817 can open a file from Money Small Business 2005 v. 14.0.150.805.  What I don't know is whether Sunset is capable of converting and opening a non-corrupted Money 2005 v. 1105 file.  I think the answer is NO, since I don't really believe my file is corrupted.  I don't know what in the world Microsoft did with that 1105 update, but it seems to be the problem here.  And with no way any longer to update to v. 1105, I don't see a way out.  I wish Microsoft would release a download for the U.S. version of Money 2005 v. 1105, which it has done for the int'l version.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:08 PM
  • If I lose the file, i.e. if I can't update 2005 and if Sunset won't open it, it's not the end of the world. I can create a new file in Sunset and enter my 2011 invoices, expenses, etc. 

I think if it were me, I would now do just that. You may have already taken more time in trying to fix your existing file than it would have taken to re-enter your data into a Sunset file ?

As long as you do not need any historical data for say tax reasons, then it doesn't sound as if you're too badly off, apart from the effort of entering the data again and finding all the accompanying paper records to achieve it.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:15 PM
  • If I lose the file, i.e. if I can't update 2005 and if Sunset won't open it, it's not the end of the world. I can create a new file in Sunset and enter my 2011 invoices, expenses, etc. 

I think if it were me, I would now do just that. You may have already taken more time in trying to fix your existing file than it would have taken to re-enter your data into a Sunset file ?

As long as you do not need any historical data for say tax reasons, then it doesn't sound as if you're too badly off, apart from the effort of entering the data again and finding all the accompanying paper records to achieve it.

True.  I think I'll wait a few days, though.  It was only on Friday that Microsoft made available a download for the int'l version of Money 2005 v. 1105:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26922

And the day before that Microsoft made available a download for the U.K. version:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

So maybe I will be rescued tomorrow with a download for the U.S. version?  "Keep hope alive!"

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for trying to help me. 

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:34 PM
  • I wish I had a better option for you.

One good thing if you do make that new from-scratch file is that Money Plus will keep its latest 4 backups by default. That number can be increased up to 99. Scheduled backups can be the same way. The filenames incorporate a timestamp. If those are done to a USB flash drive, even a hard drive crash will not leave you stranded. An off-site backup adds an additional protection against catastrophe.

The Money 2005 users need to put more work into their backup strategies. 

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Will not fix your problem but might help you salvage your historical data: see if you can open your *.mny using sunriise. If yes, you will be then be able to export the content to *.CSV files.  

See: http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Will not fix your problem but might help you salvage your historical data: see if you can open your *.mny using sunriise. If yes, you will be then be able to export the content to *.CSV files.  

This produced some very interesting Excel files, some of which might be very useful.  Still studying.

Thanks!

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:30 AM

This produced some very interesting Excel files, some of which might be very useful.  Still studying.

Thanks!

Nice. Impressive.

Just to make sure you have exhausted all repair possibiliites, consider trying making a repaired version of your *.mny file with a different computer that is running a Windows 32-bit (XP, Vista, or Windows 7) (not 64-bit) OS. I don't have expectation that that this will make a difference, but it seems like it may be worth a try.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us and use the method described under the heading "Run the Standard File Repair utility in Microsoft Money 2000, in Microsoft Money 2001, in Microsoft Money 2002, or in Microsoft Money 2003". This involves downloading a different version of salv.exe.

Monday, August 1, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I've read this interesting Q&A process. I have the same problem (exactly) and I don't have any solution to open my file from this misterious version 14.0.150.1105 Copyright 2004 Microsoft.

I can't open my file... Please help

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:54 AM
  • I've read this interesting Q&A process. I have the same problem (exactly) and I don't have any solution to open my file from this misterious version 14.0.150.1105 Copyright 2004 Microsoft.

I can't open my file... Please help

Let's hope and presume that you don't have the same problem. And for you to even have a similar problem would mean that your Money file is unfixably corrupted, and that you have no backup (*.mbf) file(s).

Install the Money version listed in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3 according to what country your Money file was from.

Close Money. In Windows Explorer, right-click your *.mny file and choose Open. Then adjust your Backup settings with Tools->Settings->BackupSettings (or Tools->Settings->BackupOptions).

If this does not work, consider closing Money. In Windows Explorer, right-click your latest *.mbf file and choose Open. Then adjust your Backup settings with Tools->Settings->BackupSettings (or Tools->Settings->BackupOptions).

If you get an error, please tell us your actual error message.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:43 PM