none
S&T keeps asking to activate RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Streets and Trips 2011 on my Windows 7 Dell E510. I already had S&T 2010 installed and used many times. Selected remove old software during install process so unfortunately I can't even go back to where I was. After installing new software, start program and asks to activate. Went through entire process with product key etc.

Message says product successfully activated, when I select "Finish" screen goes away, program does not start automatically, (expected?),then every time I try to start the program from the start menu, I get the activation process again. I tried selecting the 60 day trial option and still screen just goes away with no program start.

Next went through the whole phone activation process and again was told successful activation but keep getting the activation screen every time I start. I have restarted the PC several times.

Was going to try and call/contact MS either email or phone till I found out I have to pay to get install support???

Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

• Upon looking further through the shipping material, I found a phone number for items purchased through the Microsoft store; 1-877-696-7786.

After wading through the menus a technician advised me to go into the program files  folder, into the Streets and Trips folder, and find the S&T executable.

Right click/properties and then click on the compatibility tab. make sure all boxes are unchecked, then check the box marked, "Run this program as an administrator".

Click apply, close out and restart S&T and go through the activation and register process one more time.

After that program works normally except each time you start you will be asked to allow program to run. Technician insists this is normal even though no other progam on my PC does that. He says it is a user configuration choice with Windows 7 and S&T, because it interfaces with outside world to get map information, etc. it will ask unless I configure the user account to allow without permission, which could be a bad thing in certain situations.

Still not compleatly satisfied with that answer, I mean there are a lot of other programs that interface with the outside world, Internet Explorer doesn't ask permission to start??

In any case I do not use the program everyday so I will live with it for now.

• Marked as answer by jtpatten Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:02 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:00 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem and it is very frustrating. When I tried the activation by phone the installation said I had an invalid version, so did the stupid thing, bought a second version and still have the same problem.

Would be nice if MS had a way to answer this without shelling out $35 for their problem.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:35 PM
  • Upon looking further through the shipping material, I found a phone number for items purchased through the Microsoft store; 1-877-696-7786.

After wading through the menus a technician advised me to go into the program files  folder, into the Streets and Trips folder, and find the S&T executable.

Right click/properties and then click on the compatibility tab. make sure all boxes are unchecked, then check the box marked, "Run this program as an administrator".

Click apply, close out and restart S&T and go through the activation and register process one more time.

After that program works normally except each time you start you will be asked to allow program to run. Technician insists this is normal even though no other progam on my PC does that. He says it is a user configuration choice with Windows 7 and S&T, because it interfaces with outside world to get map information, etc. it will ask unless I configure the user account to allow without permission, which could be a bad thing in certain situations.

Still not compleatly satisfied with that answer, I mean there are a lot of other programs that interface with the outside world, Internet Explorer doesn't ask permission to start??

In any case I do not use the program everyday so I will live with it for now.

• Marked as answer by jtpatten Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:02 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:00 PM
  • I have posted the solution if you are interested.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Thanks - that did work. Not an elegant solution that you have to give it authorization to run, but better than being in the infinite activation loop.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:45 AM
  • JTPATTEN..

Thanks for the information.. Fixed mine too.. What a pain.. I screwed around with this for 2 hours before I found your instructions.. Thanks

Ron

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:48 PM
  • This fix worked for my S&T 2011 running on Windows Vista Ultimate, but I also get the prompt asking for permission to  run every time I open the program.

Clearly Microsoft has a problem with S&T 2011, that they need to fix before this issue gets more publicity!

Sunday, May 1, 2011 3:08 AM