none
Way to customize disk management RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to manage the disk my self? like i have 3 HDD now, i want my Photos to be place on 2nd disk, and video on 3rd HDD?

it seems that everyting is add to one single pool now. what if one HDD Fails? then all my stuff gone? i know Acer EasyStrore has some folder duplication stuff, but at the first place how do i 'categorize' which files go to which HDD?

And if let say it works, may i know if i take out the 2nd hdd, i can access to the all the files inside there? or it only works with Acer EasyStore mounted?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:13 AM

Answers

• "Rui Di" wrote in message news:2712c4db-6400-4837-98c3-9079c61db1ae@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Is there a way to manage the disk my self? like i have 3 HDD now, i want my Photos to be place on 2nd disk, and video on 3rd HDD?

Not possible. WHS manages the data on the HDD's in it's own way.
     >

it seems that everyting is add to one single pool now. what if one HDD Fails? then all my stuff gone? i know Acer EasyStrore has some folder duplication stuff, but at the first place how do i 'categorize' which files go to which HDD?

As you say. Turn on Folder duplication for that folders.

And.. what about making backups from the folder on an EXTERNAL drive?
     >

And if let say it works, may i know if i take out the 2nd hdd, i can access to the all the files inside there? or it only works with Acer EasyStore mounted?

NO! Let the HDD where they are and make backup on External HDD. (and put that one AWAY from your WHS ; preferable outside your house.. you konw... fire in the house .. WHS gone .. external backup gone..

Have a nice day!
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rui Di Friday, August 6, 2010 12:45 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I think there is a workaround. I Add the New Hard Disk as Backup instead of Adding it to the Main Storage Pool, then i login using Remote desktop connection, and i can see a new drive being created. then i Share that drive out. then it is now appearing in my Share Folder. so i guess it works. Although i believe there are some more security issues i need to attend to, now i am sharing it to "Everyone"

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:45 AM

All replies

• "Rui Di" wrote in message news:2712c4db-6400-4837-98c3-9079c61db1ae@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Is there a way to manage the disk my self? like i have 3 HDD now, i want my Photos to be place on 2nd disk, and video on 3rd HDD?

Not possible. WHS manages the data on the HDD's in it's own way.
     >

As you say. Turn on Folder duplication for that folders.

And.. what about making backups from the folder on an EXTERNAL drive?
     >

NO! Let the HDD where they are and make backup on External HDD. (and put that one AWAY from your WHS ; preferable outside your house.. you konw... fire in the house .. WHS gone .. external backup gone..

Have a nice day!
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf EngelkeModerator Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:52 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 7:20 AM
  • I think there is a workaround. I Add the New Hard Disk as Backup instead of Adding it to the Main Storage Pool, then i login using Remote desktop connection, and i can see a new drive being created. then i Share that drive out. then it is now appearing in my Share Folder. so i guess it works. Although i believe there are some more security issues i need to attend to, now i am sharing it to "Everyone"

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:45 AM
    Yes, you can do that (as a matter of fact, you don't even need to add it as a backup drive).  However, logging into the server desktop is unsupported.  Also, any drive that is not part of the storage pool is not recognized by WHS at all (meaning the data cannot be duplicated, is not available through the website, etc.)
    Friday, August 6, 2010 3:46 AM