how to install CRM 4 for mobile access RRS feed

• Question

• I want to install CRM 4 with the possibility to access CRM from mobile devices. In CRM 3 this was only possible with the help of a crm mobile express program (that worked only partly) but under CRM 4 this should be a built in feature.

However now that I want to implement this I don't find anything about it. How to implement, how to prepare CRM for this, etc. ? Through Sharepoint or not (can it be done without sharepoint)?

I want to install this under a SQL 2008 server on a 64-bit server 2008 machine that is running in a SBS2008 domain. Should I install sharepoint on the same server that is running SQL, etc.
    R.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• And then there has been the issue of which Mobile OS to use.   As far back as CRM 1.2 you had Ten digits with a product for the Black Berry while Windows Mobile is the platform for CWRMobility.   I was speaking with Erik Van Hoof of CWRMobility regarding their product on the BES platform and he said they had something coming.  So that issue could be nullified.

There are PDA emulators that you can use to test.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Ok, that changes the question a bit.   If you want to deploy reports, can I recommend that you could use CRM online and have your inhouse share point deployment to be accessed through an IFrame within an custom tab of an CRM Entity.   If you configure an "Alternate Address" within your share point adminstration site and configure SSL on your Share Point applicatin pool site, you can get the two of the apps up within the same web page.

That way you can see and run the reports and have access to the data as well.   Conversely you could run the reports from the CRMOnline site within a Sharepoint site within a Site collection.

I think your idea is good.  But the issue would be doing this on a PDA.  

IF that is the case then some custimization and the use of some web services would be in order.  It depends on the business goals.
    Hope that helps.
    /:>
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I have dealt with Publishing SRS reports through MOSS 2007 and I have to say that it's a very good Idea to keep things seperate.    For some time I worked in a Developer site.   Those networks have lots of admins other wise the admin would be a slave to changing permissions all day. 

So one PM gave a Junior Developer access to the MOSS server to "Install" the software for integrating SRS reports into SHare Point.

The Result?   Total loss of the administration site.  

The lesson.    Build the lab because even though you have the instructions things go wrong.

Hope we were helpful.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:13 PM
  • You have an SBS server.   Share Point can be moved to another server.

SRS can be on a web server and you can point to the SQL server from the SRS application server.

Keep CRM on a seperate Application server as well.    IF your going to do Share Point don't install all this together on the same server.  You could get all this to work on one server but remember that people are going to use this software.  So do some studying on how web based apps work with AD and SQL because you reall don't want all this on one box.   Thank God for Hypervisors these days because you have options with virtualization.
    • Marked as answer by ruud00000 Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:59 AM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:08 AM

All replies

• You can download a similar software for MS CRM 4.0 (mobile express). You will not need to install sharepoint to install mobile express.

You can read more about the installation from the download page.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Hi,

Mobile client for CRM was abandoned in CRM 4.0 (at least by Microsoft), hence you may have had problems finding information about it. However, the Mobile Express is still there and has been customized to support CRM 4.0 (as Hussain mentioned).
    If I were you, I would consider using any of the third party products, if you want to have a reliable mobile client. CWR have one: http://www.cwrmobility.com/ and c360 too: http://www.c360.com/MobileCRM.aspx

Best regards,
    Kuba
    -- Kuba Skałbania, Netwise
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 6:40 PM
  • And then there has been the issue of which Mobile OS to use.   As far back as CRM 1.2 you had Ten digits with a product for the Black Berry while Windows Mobile is the platform for CWRMobility.   I was speaking with Erik Van Hoof of CWRMobility regarding their product on the BES platform and he said they had something coming.  So that issue could be nullified.

There are PDA emulators that you can use to test.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:35 PM
  • So the whole idea of creating mobile access dialogue and reports through (as I recall the idea was) through Sharepoint is not going to work anymore? Or different or has proved not to work ...? Can you tell more about that?
    R.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Ok, that changes the question a bit.   If you want to deploy reports, can I recommend that you could use CRM online and have your inhouse share point deployment to be accessed through an IFrame within an custom tab of an CRM Entity.   If you configure an "Alternate Address" within your share point adminstration site and configure SSL on your Share Point applicatin pool site, you can get the two of the apps up within the same web page.

That way you can see and run the reports and have access to the data as well.   Conversely you could run the reports from the CRMOnline site within a Sharepoint site within a Site collection.

I think your idea is good.  But the issue would be doing this on a PDA.  

IF that is the case then some custimization and the use of some web services would be in order.  It depends on the business goals.
    Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Thanks! From the above discussion I think I would settle for CRM Mobile express solution for the PDA (I found some prices for the c360 solution...), at least to begin with. And for remote access from other pc's and notebook I'll go for the Sharepoint way (with which I'm not yet very familiar yet but that is of later concern), since I understand from Curt that that would be a good approach. Which answers the first part of my question.

This leaves me with the second part of the question. I admit that using CRM online I could consider the question answered now, but as pointed out in my initial question, I want to install this (I mean: CRM) under a SQL 2008 server on a 64-bit server 2008 machine that is running in a SBS2008 domain, since I have all the CRM, SQL etc licences at hand (Action Pack subscription) and I would like to find out how to make all of that work ;-).

Now I have a choice to make on installing SQL: do I choose 'native mode' or 'sharepoint integrated mode'  configuration for the above purpose? I guess, but I'm not sure, I have to choose 'sharepoint integrated mode'? The difference is if I choose 'native mode' now it (ReportServer) works, and if I choose 'sharepoint integrated mode' now it doesn't (error: 'The configuration parameter SharePointIntegrated is set to True but Share Point Object Model cannot be loaded'), because sharepoint is not installed on this server (but on the SBS server). Hence the last part of my initial question: 'should I install sharepoint on the same server that is running SQL, etc.' or, restated: 'how to deal with having sharepoint on a different server then the one where SQL Reportserver is installed' or still different, 'how to make this work'?

R.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:11 AM
  • I have dealt with Publishing SRS reports through MOSS 2007 and I have to say that it's a very good Idea to keep things seperate.    For some time I worked in a Developer site.   Those networks have lots of admins other wise the admin would be a slave to changing permissions all day. 

So one PM gave a Junior Developer access to the MOSS server to "Install" the software for integrating SRS reports into SHare Point.

The Result?   Total loss of the administration site.  

The lesson.    Build the lab because even though you have the instructions things go wrong.

Hope we were helpful.

Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:13 PM
  • OK thanks. So you're saying I should install sharepoint on the seperate (SQL) server?

Or should I install CRM on the SBS server (where sharepoint is already installed) and use the SQL and reportserver installed on the seperate server as SQL server for CRM?

two more questions to finalize the thread with (in case you mean that I should install sharepoint on the seperate (SQL) server):
    1. Just for my understanding, what happens with sharepoint that is installed on the SBS server then? should I deinstall it? Move the 'companyweb' site to the CRM server? Where could I find instructions or help on how to deal with this kind of setup?
    2. shoudl I install sharepoint services 3.0 or sharepoint server 2007 or both on the CRM server to make this work?
    R.
    • Edited by ruud00000 Friday, July 10, 2009 8:35 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:45 AM
  • You have an SBS server.   Share Point can be moved to another server.

SRS can be on a web server and you can point to the SQL server from the SRS application server.

Keep CRM on a seperate Application server as well.    IF your going to do Share Point don't install all this together on the same server.  You could get all this to work on one server but remember that people are going to use this software.  So do some studying on how web based apps work with AD and SQL because you reall don't want all this on one box.   Thank God for Hypervisors these days because you have options with virtualization.
    • Marked as answer by ruud00000 Saturday, July 11, 2009 7:59 AM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Thank you

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    yahoomailo
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:09 AM