Antivirus software necessary on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

•  I know this question has been asked on this forum, but it hasn't been answered by Microsoft.  Is it necessary and/or preferable to install antivirus software on a Windows Home Server?  I'd like to see this answered by Microsoft, and added to the FAQ forum. 
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 10:58 PM

Answers

• Microsoft isn't going to answer that question, I'm pretty sure. Microsoft isn't going to say that you don't need an AV product, because if someone gets a virus on their server (even through their own actions using their WHS as a desktop for surfing pr0n sites) they will scream bloody murder to the press that "Microsoft said it was safe, and look what happened to me!". But if Microsoft says you do need an AV solution, what are they going to sell you? They don't have anything suited for WHS.

My opinion is that every computer on your network, including your home server, needs protection against malware. While the vast majority of attacks today are a result of opening something that should have been discarded or avoided, there are still attacks that can spread from computer to computer without human intervention.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:15 AM

All replies

• Microsoft isn't going to answer that question, I'm pretty sure. Microsoft isn't going to say that you don't need an AV product, because if someone gets a virus on their server (even through their own actions using their WHS as a desktop for surfing pr0n sites) they will scream bloody murder to the press that "Microsoft said it was safe, and look what happened to me!". But if Microsoft says you do need an AV solution, what are they going to sell you? They don't have anything suited for WHS.

My opinion is that every computer on your network, including your home server, needs protection against malware. While the vast majority of attacks today are a result of opening something that should have been discarded or avoided, there are still attacks that can spread from computer to computer without human intervention.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Thanks Ken.  The only sites I've visited on my WHS are Microsoft and Dell, to get updates.  But yes, I will put AV software on it now.  It will be sitting in a corner, running headless, and the only thing connected to it will be a UPS.  I've just built it, and I'm still trying to figure everything out.  All my other machines have AV software, so I wanted to be sure my WHS was protected.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:34 AM