Windows 7 not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I bought a new dell desktop a while ago, and everything was fine until I used the Windows 7 discs that came with it to install Windows 7 on an old XP laptop.  Since then the laptop has run Windows 7 fine, but the desktop keeps on getting the message "This computer is not running genuine windows".

I thought installing on another computer was fine, but if not, I am more than happy to buy another copy of windows or a product key.  I don't want to have to reinstall everything as it is a business computer and is always needed.  Can I change the product key without reinstalling windows and wiping everything?

If I go to Control panel - System - windows activation, there is no option to change the product key.

If anyone knows the answer I wil be very grateful.

Thanks,

Nathan.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:33 PM

Answers

• One cannot use a Windows 7 license to install Windows 7 on two different computers.  Your license is only valid on the Dell PC Windows 7 came preinstalled on. 

You can change the product key of your Windows 7 installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type in:  slui.exe 3

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Enter a new Windows 7 product key and activate.  (to purchase a Windows 7 license, please see this example) (make sure to purchase the same version that you installed i.e. Home Premium or Professional).

Carey Frisch

Friday, April 25, 2014 1:21 AM