WHS Installation Question RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install WHS 2011 and load the drivers for my raid card. After the drivers are loaded my storage partition of my hard drives is selected as the primary and the check box says that clicking install will erase all data on the primary hard drive.

How can I select my boot partition rather than my storage partition so I will not format the storage partition?

• Edited by shm613 Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:28 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:25 PM

Answers

• In my experience, Windows Home Server 2011 setup will choose the "first" (as enumerated by the BIOS) drive it's presented with that's at least 160 GB in size. It's very difficult to control the order in which the BIOS presents drives, however. As such, you could try deleting the second logical drive (5.8 TB), then restarting the installation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:37 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:48 PM

All replies

• How have you set up the drives in your RAID array? How many logical (not physical) drives, what sizes? Does the "boot partition" meet the minimum requirement for a Windows Home Server 2011 drive, which is 160 GB?

Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:32 PM
  • The drives are setup in RAID 6 with 2 logical drives (5.8 TB and 200 GB). The OS drive has 200 GB so yes it does meet the minimum requirements for WHS 2011.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:25 PM
  • In my experience, Windows Home Server 2011 setup will choose the "first" (as enumerated by the BIOS) drive it's presented with that's at least 160 GB in size. It's very difficult to control the order in which the BIOS presents drives, however. As such, you could try deleting the second logical drive (5.8 TB), then restarting the installation.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:37 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:48 PM