SyncToy won'r open with Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version for Windows 7 and I get a "SyncToy has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" error. I have de-installed and reinstalled SyncToy a couple of times without success and have also downloaded the 32-bit version and get the same error. SyncToy runs ok on my XP machine and connects to the Win7 machine with no problems but cannot get the app to start on the Win7 machine

Advice greatly appreciated.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:55 PM

Answers

• An update for anyone who may come across the same thing - I shut down my Kaspersky Internet Security 11 and ran then installation for the 64-bit version again and SyncToy finally installed and ran without a problem - strange in some ways as Kaspersky is configured to notify on program/process execution not to block completely (exactly the same as on the working XP machine).

If this happens to you and you have a different Internet Security application try disabling it (disconnect from the internet and then close the application don't just suspend it) and running the installation again; then re-open your IS software and reconnect to the internet - as good practice don't leave your machine connected to the internet whilst you disable the security software no matter how short a time period.

Anyway, hope this may be of help to someone...

• Marked as answer by PMD79 Friday, May 27, 2011 6:37 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 6:37 AM