Vista won't vailidate and there is no bottom browser thing i.e. start etc RRS feed

• Question

• i am an 18 year old university student who does not know much about computors so excuse me if i do not post in enough detail or anything like that. i turned my laptop on to find that there had been some sort of unorthorised change and it took me to this website to validate my microsoft stuff. apparently its not validated and it gave me some instructions but as i can't go on start i couldn't do it. i have know desktop at all and i am genuinly worried about what is going on and how i can mend it. what do you think may have caused it? is it likely to mend itself? how can i mend it? before you ask, yes i have tried turning it on and off again. any input would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 11:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Dseymour,

Please tell me exactly what messaging you are receiving and are there any error codes? You mention you can't go on the start button...what exactly do you mean? We really need you to have the capability to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool. 

If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Next, in the address bar type http://www.microsoft.com/genuine . Then locate the "Validate Windows" icon located in the upper right hand corner. 

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Please let us know how this works.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, November 17, 2008 7:31 PM
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:23 AM