Can you have more than three computers on one hub RRS feed

• Question

• I realize that one care only allows 3 computers, but I need to have six covered. (We all have laptops) Can I pay for one care twice, and still have the main computer as the hub for all 6 computers?
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 12:38 AM

Answers

• At this time you can't have more than three computers in a One Care Circle. Since the current limit is three computers you would need two subscriptions but to have two subscriptions you would need two different Live IDs and computers in a One Care Circle are linked by Live IDs so you would have two One Care Circles.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:41 AM

All replies

• At this time you can't have more than three computers in a One Care Circle. Since the current limit is three computers you would need two subscriptions but to have two subscriptions you would need two different Live IDs and computers in a One Care Circle are linked by Live IDs so you would have two One Care Circles.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:41 AM
  • I have the same issue. I'd like to manage all of my PC's from the same PC. (Mine) But I don't want or need another email address. And I am not sure how I would install the same computer as the hub for both circles in any case. Is there a plan/timeframe to fix this issue? More and more homes are functioning with a PC for each family member or a laptop and a desktop for some family members.

The functionality that OneCare represents is severely limited by the three PC limit. Is there a technical reason for this limitaion?  I don't object to paying for additional PC's, but want centralized management above all. In fact, I have already purchased multiple copies of OneCare, before discovering the 3 PC limit was not per license, but rather a hard limit per Live ID.

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Sadly, I have no new information on this and agree that it is a pain.

I can tell you that you are not technically limited to 3 PCs on the subscription, so you could activate more than 3 computers with the same LiveID, but that may not work forever as the limit could well be enforced server side at any time. If you choose this route, shelve a copy of OneCare for each 3 computers and never use that product key. This is unsupported and may be a future problem, but it will work for now.

-steve

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  

Yes, I noticed this myself.  I wanted to buy a license for a 4th PC (realizing I would have to pay for an additional 3 PC's.) so I followed the link to install/add another PC.  It didn't ask for CC numbers (I have a prepaid subscruiption) and then just added it on. I made the new PC the hub.  Thank you for explaining this because I have 4 PC's in my circle now and it shows the expiration date the same for all 4 even thought I added the 4th just now.  It's not about money...I would gladly pay. I was happy to get rid of Norton.  They really should allow you to add on legally since you can already do it without buying an additional license.  Steve- Can you tell me the reason for picking the number "3"?

Thanks....Peter

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Marketing mystery, I'm afraid. ;-) I don't honestly know, except that I would assume that research revealed that this was an average number of computers in the typical household for the target market. If they made the license for 4 computers and charged more, the deal would not be as attractive, for example.

That said, I am still hopeful that we'll see an option to add licenses to an existing subscription at some point. It was hinted at many months ago during either the 1.5 or 2.0 beta and still has not appeared.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Please let the marketing folks know that their target market information needs to be updated.  I have two additional laptops to add to my full circle, and don't want to rely on dubious backdoor methods.  I'm sure it's just a config change, but if I end up going with a differnt solution for the laptops, I'm not going to care about the Microsoft solution for at least a year.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:45 AM
  • For everyone's information, I was able to add a fourth computer to my origional subscription, even though I fully purchased a second subscription with a new ID that I linked to my first ID. At least Microsoft knows I am paying for six machines - I hope. (It would be nice if they gave a little discount on the renewalls!) It seems that I can indeed manage the 4 to 6 machines on the same hub, which pleases me to no end! I sure hope OneCare managers are aware of this need and don't change it, and maybe even improve on things.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:31 PM
  • Yes, you can technically have more than 3 machines on a subscription, therefore managing them from the same hub(s). However, this may stop working if they decide to enforce the 3 PC limit from the server side. Until they provide the ability to add licenses to a subscription for more PCs, your 4th through 6th PCs should be activated with a different LiveID.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:40 PM