WLOC 2.0 Upgrade Changes Screensaver Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded WLOC to 2.0 yesterday on first machine running Vista Ultimate. I soon noticed that I cannot turn off the Windows Logo screensaver. I don't use a screensaver. Everytime I switch it off it somehow turns itself back on. No other programs were loaded and no settings changed. This started immediatley after installing 2.0. All I can do now is to set the timer on the screen saver to go on after four hours or more.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:39 AM

Answers

• I believe that the Performance Plus component was there previously, but perhaps some of the settings were not enabled until the .10 build. For reference, the build currently being deployed is .12

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:37 PM

All replies

• This issue is due to a recently released Vista update and not One Care. Most likely the update causing the screensaver problem is KB941649 or KB 941600. Other than uninstalling the offending update I don't know of a solution.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:26 PM
  • I read about this bug yesterday. Will there be a fix coming out for WLOC 2 in the near future? I use a screensaver and it happens to be the Default one on both my Vista and XP machines so will that make any difference to the grand order of things or will they fix either or both KB941649 and KB941600 updates?  J.B.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Again, this is not caused by One Care. I don't know when ( or if ) a fix for the update is coming. I believe this bug affects only a small number of users which may make it more difficult to pin down. I personally have not seen this on any of my Vista computers either with or without One Care installed but reports of this bug seem to be popping up everywhere.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:16 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    This issue is due to a recently released Vista update and not One Care. Most likely the update causing the screensaver problem is KB941649 or KB 941600. Other than uninstalling the offending update I don't know of a solution.

JimR1 your wrong it is a new feature in Wloc protection plan to enable the screen saver as a protecting the monitor from damage. It's new feature in wloc 2.0.2500.10 and after the numberious accounts of complaints is being reviewed in being changed or removed because it's annoying the heck out of us who diable screen saver I've been actively working on this.

It'll be resolved soon.

A quick fix is to set the screen saver to blank and to set the minutes to 9999 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Mikro, I may be wrong ( it wouldn't be the first time ) but that "feature" does not exist in my copy of One Care 2.0.2500.10.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:20 PM
  • The only way to see it is try shutting screen saver off in a few minutes WLOC will do a Ah ah ah and turn screen saver back on. You shut turn it off again few minutes wloc will turn screen savers back on

there's even a copy folder in the registry called screen saver windows logo folder under the windows live one care go in and change the thing to 0 and watch what what happens you will see a BSOD windows live one care directory in the registry has a screensaver folder and it's set to default if user turns off screensaver. also under screen saver for windows any changes are ignored because wloc has taken control of the screensaver.

if you don't see this consider your self the lucky one that is not seeing this. Mean while it's driving the rest of us nuts.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:07 AM
  • I turned off my screensaver, rebooted, made a few posts to the forum, ran a tune up, rebooted again and my screensaver settings were unchanged. I have seen a few posts elsewhere stating in the monthly report that " Screen saver has been set up". Perhaps as you stated it is a One Care unwanted behavior but I haven't experienced it.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I am having this problem on an XP system that I recently installed OneCare onto, after trialing it on Vista for a couple of weeks.

The XP system runs my TV Tuner, and I use it to watch TV while playing games on the Vista system.  The XP system has *NEVER* had the screensaver enabled.  So when the screensaver unexpectedly popped up while the TV is running, I was annoyed.  The second and third time it happened this evening was even more annoying.

The only change has been the installation of WLOC this week.  The system has been fully patched and kept up-to-date for the years I have been running it.

This is *most* annoying.  Automatic changes to the behavior of the desktop should never be undertaken.  With LCD monitors being as common as they are now, screensavers aren't even a necessity anymore (except for power savings, but if you're walking away from the computer for that long, shut the whole thing down).
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:48 AM
  • There is still a question that has to be answered by the OneCare team if that is what you call them and it is: What can be done about this problem? WLOC should not be making changes to the desktop on its own  and if in fact it is doing so without the operators permission then I for one will not allow the new version on my computers. This kind of action is not one of properly written software, but the opposite and in some cases could be called Malware.  J.B.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Mikro has provided a workaround in another thread - set the time for the screensaver to the maximum 9999.

-steve

Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:24 AM
  • My settings got changed on my Windows XP system.  I had set the screensaver to Starfield with a delay value of 9999 the other day when the problem popped up.

Today, the screensaver is back to the Windows XP default at 10 mins.  I really noticed that as it popped up 10mins after starting up the TV software and sitting back to watch ths evening.

So even the workaround is getting clobbered.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 5:16 AM
  •  BBMcC wrote:
    My settings got changed on my Windows XP system.  I had set the screensaver to Starfield with a delay value of 9999 the other day when the problem popped up.

Today, the screensaver is back to the Windows XP default at 10 mins.  I really noticed that as it popped up 10mins after starting up the TV software and sitting back to watch ths evening.

So even the workaround is getting clobbered.

You Might of for gotten to set screen saver to blank and set 9999 then you hit apply to save the config if you exit the control with out hitting apply nothing will change. Windows asumes you didn't want to make any changes.

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:52 PM
  • I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN ONECARE FIXES THIS UNNECESSARY PROBLEM THAT THEY HAVE CREATED.

THANK YOU!!!!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:51 PM
  • I hate to disagree with you, Jim; but this definately looks like a WLOC 2.0 issue. This issue just presented itself in the Vista Version 2.0.2500.10. Reading other posts, it looks like it also is a problem for XP users. The thing that leads me to believe it is WLOC is one simple thing: Open up the monthly report and down at the bottom left, it tells you it set your screensaver up for you. Either way, I hope this is resolved on the production release.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 11:56 AM
  • You're right, Chris. It *is* a OneCare issue. We are trying to find out from the OneCare team what other settings are changed by OneCare as part of Performance Plus. And, judging from the noise, I sure hope that they are evaluating what change needs to be made to allow us to over-ride these nonessential "performance" decisions.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Bah HuMbug Norton Here I come That'll so Microsoft I'm not messing around. Stupid software Windows Live One Care Windows Vista Windows Live ID poorily thought through Ideas that suffer the poor design fate

Windows Live One Care Slow scans and over rides User controls in Windows

Windows Live ID Not tranferable but Microsoft wants ya to upgrade to @live.com account any ways losing 7 years of an older profile.

And Vista do I even Have to say anything I'll just call it the Windows ME of 2007 and Beyond

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:04 PM
  • I have to disagree with you. I come from several years of using Norton. While I do like the product (and am a member of their product advisory panel), I have never seen a company launch a product that had so much end user input involved in the development process. While WLOC has it's flaws, if they keep this style of forum post-launch, it should turn out to be pretty darn reliable. Hell, I like that it so lightweight on resources....try saying that about Norton.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:17 PM
  •  Chris_Douglas wrote:
    I have to disagree with you. I come from several years of using Norton. While I do like the product (and am a member of their product advisory panel), I have never seen a company launch a product that had so much end user input involved in the development process. While WLOC has it's flaws, if they keep this style of forum post-launch, it should turn out to be pretty darn reliable. Hell, I like that it so lightweight on resources....try saying that about Norton.

I was on the Windows Live One Care giving them Months of feedback and worked Issues they had everything working at the end the final beta release rocked but the RTM 2.0.2500.10 they had to add these automatic preformance controls messing with user settings and screwed up the months of Hardwork by the beta group and us users It doesn't make sense to mess up a perfectly running product

Which Windows Live One Care went and did then they released it.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:25 PM
  • I would agree with that. Last minute changes to a polished product usually aren't a good strategy. Oh well, I'm sure it'll all be corrected by launch.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:40 PM
  •  Chris_Douglas wrote:
    I would agree with that. Last minute changes to a polished product usually aren't a good strategy. Oh well, I'm sure it'll all be corrected by launch.

Verson 2.0.2500.10 is the launched build It was RTM November 16th 2007

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:43 PM
  • I believe that the Performance Plus component was there previously, but perhaps some of the settings were not enabled until the .10 build. For reference, the build currently being deployed is .12

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:37 PM