What are the advantages of Windows validation? RRS feed

• General discussion

• In addition to having the confidence that you are using a copy of Windows that is licensed and fully supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner, genuine Windows customers can take advantage of:

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:22 AM

All replies

• there is no advantage cause I spent 139.00 on a Windows xp Pro OEM and can't even use it. When I called Microsft about it they want to charge me another 89.00 or pay by the hour for service. That I fell they should provide anyway. Why did I spent 139.00 for an Operating system that I could not install on my PC. So I think Microsoft is the biggest ripoff in the world and don't provide true support without charging customers. I am looking in Linux as an operating system. I am tried of getting riped off.
    Friday, April 21, 2006 1:50 AM
  • Uspslc:

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having with your copy of Windows XP Professional. I would recommend at this time one of two things:

1: File a counterfeit report during Validation Failure here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

This will give us a headway as to the copy of Windows you have. If it is a high quality counterfeit, you may be eligible for a free copy of Windows. FREE!

2: Use the "Print a Report" link during Validation Failure to receive information about your computer to take back to the manufacturer/reseller. They will be able to fix the problem for you if they are using genuine Microsoft software.

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:39 PM
  • then why is he using it? strange people....
    Monday, May 22, 2006 3:35 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

In addition to having the confidence that you are using a copy of Windows that is licensed and fully supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner, genuine Windows customers can take advantage of:

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 3:01 PM
  •  uspslc wrote:
    there is no advantage cause I spent 139.00 on a Windows xp Pro OEM and can't even use it. When I called Microsft about it they want to charge me another 89.00 or pay by the hour for service. That I fell they should provide anyway. Why did I spent 139.00 for an Operating system that I could not install on my PC. So I think Microsoft is the biggest ripoff in the world and don't provide true support without charging customers. I am looking in Linux as an operating system. I am tried of getting riped off.

Simple solution: Stop using windows, switch to Linux :)
    Monday, May 29, 2006 6:20 PM
  • "This will give us a headway as to the copy of Windows you have. If it is a high quality counterfeit, you may be eligible for a free copy of Windows"

A rhetorical question for MS,

Exactly what is a 'high quality counterfeit', a computer with a counterfeit Windows O/S sold  to an unwitting & naive consumer from a Microsoft approved retailer?

Gungi

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 12:21 PM
  • Gungi,

What I have read here is that for purposes of claiming the complimentary Genuine Windows Offer, the counterfeit materials you purchased have to be of a hi-quality.  This has been further described as, for the CDROM, a hi-quality counterfeit will actually have an embedded hologram within the disc itself (a technology that is patented by MS and its media manufacturing partners), or will have a hologram label affixed to the disc.

I have not yet run acrosss any posts that spell out what hi-quality means regarding the Certificate of Authenticity.

Have a look at this link for examples:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:57 PM
  • Phil,

With all due respect, your reply is nonsensical and laughable. Its pretty clear you know little about customer satisfaction or aggravation.

For the record I have a similar problem, a Dell laptop which fails WGA - the SN matches the COA on the bottom of the laptop and I have the re-install CD. It is genuine. period. I have the Dell reciept etc.

Yet all you could advise is to file a counterfeit report or send my Laptop back to Dell?

Good grief!

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:42 PM