ISP blocked port 80,443,4125 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  My ISP blocks port 80,443,4125.  I would like to know if there is a way to work around those ports so I can access my home server through internet or use the remote access on my home server.  Thank you for any help.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• It's possible, but unsupported, to change the ports your server uses for web access (80 and 443). Doing so may result in certificate errors or problems installing the connector on a computer, however. There is no way to change the remote desktop proxy port, however (4125).

You can try using inbound and outbound rules in your router to map ports other than 80, 443, and 4125 to your server's standard ports, if your router supports that functionality. However, you should consider that usually an ISP blocks ports for a reason. Most likely, running any form of server that's accessible from outside your home on your internet connection is against your terms of service. If your ISP finds out you're doing so, they would be within their rights to impose whatever penalties their TOS allow for that sort of violation. (If you're truly using it for family/home use, probably they won't care, but "probably they won't care" could be expensive if it turns into "they really do care".)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:31 PM