Backup failing on 2 different client machines RRS feed

• Question

• My Home Server is running SP2 and I have 5 Win XP SP3 Client machines.

I have been having a backup failure problem on one of them, but knew that I was going to replace it so I didn't worry too much.  I have now built a client machine from scratch and I am unable to do an inital backup, either manually or from the scheduler.

I am getting an Application Error, Event ID: 1000, Category (100) and the text of the error is "Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x0003da38."

This is the same error that I was getting on the old machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:09 PM

All replies

• I suggest you run chkdsk on all your disks (on the server and clients)
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:38 PM
  • If it's still not working after that try a Repair on the Backup Database (Windows Home Server Console Settings -> Backup)

Also are you running RealTek network cards - they have been known to cause issues which are cured by drivers date March 2010.

--
    Friday, March 26, 2010 10:39 AM
  • I suggest you run chkdsk on all your disks (on the server and clients)

I ran chkdsk with no improvement - will now try the next suggestion!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:53 PM
  • I Repaired the backup database.  No errors were encountered - still not able to back up.

I am using a RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter.  It was used successfully 8 weeks ago.  Could this be a problem?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Two things: what about the network adapter in your server? Wireless adapters are unsupported and Microsoft recommends strongly against their use in your server, so I'm hoping you're using the RangeMax in a client computer.

And you can try deleting the entire backup database, though you will obviously lose all backups and have to reconfigure backup for your client computers. You'll find some basic information on where it is in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:13 AM
  • OK - It has taken a while, but I now have the server and client hard wired through a gigabyte switch.  The latest drivers are installed on both network cards.  I am still getting the same problem.

Should I post the Application log messages?  Would that help?

Monday, May 3, 2010 8:09 AM