Live mesh remote desktop not available in Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I just got a new laptop running windows 7 home premium 64-bit.  I installed live mesh, and file synchronization is working well.  But for some reason the remote desktop is not available on it.  (It shows the yellow exclamation mark icon)  Basically, I can connect to my other computer running XP but I can't connect to my laptop .  I have tried reinstalling it but I get the same problem.  I had it working just fine previously on my windows 7 ultimate RC 32-bit.  is remote desktop supported for win7x64?  If not, will it be soon?

Thanks.

Daniel

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:13 AM

All replies

• It is indeed supported.
    Were you logged into the laptop as Admin when you installed Live Mesh? Were you prompted to install the Live Mesh desktop enhancements (I don't recall the exact naming!) when you installed? Do you see a message in the notifier that indicates that you can install them?
    What firewall is the laptop using?
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:11 PM
  • 1. Yes I was logged in with an administrator account when i installed it both times.
    2. I did get prompted to install the desktop enhaancement and i did choose to install it.
    3. After installation, there is no message in the notifier to install the enhancements, since presumably, they have been isntalled.
    4. I am using the plain old windows firewall.  I have checked to make sure that Live Mesh is in the allow list of programs.  I have even tried turning off the windows firewall, but the remote desktop is still not available.

It is really puzzling.  I had thought that it would have been supported.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Once again, yes, it is supported.

Since you did get the prompt and you did install the enhancements on the target machine, it should be available.

I will note that there are times when things are funky and a PC will show unavailable for unknown reasons, though it is indeed available. If you have access to the remote machine, try rebooting it and signing into Live Mesh again.

If it still doesn't show as available, go ahead and submit a bug report with logs from that machine.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:30 PM