Windows Genuine Advantage-Gültigkeitsprüfungstool (KB892130) RRS feed

• Question

• Guten Tag.
    among the FAQs of
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=de#Question3Label
    I read this
    --------
    Bei der Gültigkeitsprüfung werden Informationen über Ihr System erfasst, um zu ermitteln, ob es sich bei Ihrer Microsoft-Software um eine Originalversion handelt. Bei diesem Vorgang werden keine Informationen erfasst oder versendet, die dazu verwendet werden können, Sie zu identifizieren oder mit Ihnen Kontakt aufzunehmen. Hier sehen Sie die vollständige Liste der bei der Gültigkeitsprüfung erfassten Informationen:
    [snip]
    Seriennummer des Festplattenlaufwerks
    --------
    I want to equip my notebook with a better harddisk which brings an alteration of HD serial number.

My question
    Is the HD serialnumber-change of any influence when doing the Windows Genuine Advantage (Gültigkeitsprüfung)

Regards, Mangold

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Mangold:

Thanks for the excellent question! I wanted to post that I am looking into the question and will get you an exact response within 2 business days. We're committed to the highest level of service for all Microsoft customers, and I'm committed to making sure these forums are useful for everyone.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:44 AM
  • Mangold:

Please check here regarding the information you've requested:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpactiv.mspx#ENH

I hope this helps!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:27 PM
  • Questions in italic to ensure there is no confusion.

Interesting... that page says:

"the network adapter is given a superior "weighting." If the PC is not dockable and a network adapter exists and is not changed, 6 or more of the other above values would have to change before reactivation was required. If a network adapter existed but is changed or never existed at all, 4 or more changes (including the changed network adapter if it previously existed) will result in a requirement to reactivate."

Which means as long as your PC has a network adapter (I'll assume the MAC is used as a key from here on in) you could change your hard disk.

My question would have to be then...

According to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx the WGA process collects and transmits your:

• Computer make and model
    • Version information for the operating system and software using Genuine Advantage
    • Region and language setting
    • A unique number assigned to your computer by the tools (Globally Unique Identifier or GUID)
    • Product ID and Product Key
    • BIOS name, revision number, and revision date
    • Hard drive serial number
    Which will then be stored and may be shared with "
    hardware and software vendors".

Why are you collecting the hard disk serial number if the network card has more weight? Wouldn't the network card MAC be a better statistic to gather, hold and aggregate?

Or are are you gathering and storing the MAC without disclosing this in your privacy statement?

You do claim "
    As standard procedure, your Internet Protocol (IP) address is temporarily logged when your computer connects to an MGA website or server. These logs are routinely deleted."

These logs could hold the MAC, it is after all in the packet along with the IP address. But you are disposing of this data routinely so these logs would not be the source of your records.

Based upon the privacy disclosure I would have to say the link given does not answer the original question. You retain Hard Disk Serial number but not MAC despite the MAC being a "tie-breaker"

Saturday, July 1, 2006 6:48 AM
  • Mangold,

If you do a clean installation of XP onto the new hard disk, my prediction is that your installation will activate without a hiccup.

Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:38 PM
  •  mangold wrote:

Guten Tag.
    among the FAQs of
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=de#Question3Label
    I read this
    --------
    Bei der Gültigkeitsprüfung werden Informationen über Ihr System erfasst, um zu ermitteln, ob es sich bei Ihrer Microsoft-Software um eine Originalversion handelt. Bei diesem Vorgang werden keine Informationen erfasst oder versendet, die dazu verwendet werden können, Sie zu identifizieren oder mit Ihnen Kontakt aufzunehmen. Hier sehen Sie die vollständige Liste der bei der Gültigkeitsprüfung erfassten Informationen:
    [snip]
    Seriennummer des Festplattenlaufwerks
    --------
    I want to equip my notebook with a better harddisk which brings an alteration of HD serial number.

My question
    Is the HD serialnumber-change of any influence when doing the Windows Genuine Advantage (Gültigkeitsprüfung)

Regards, Mangold

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:17 PM