it was working, but now its not?? RRS feed

Answers

• Unfortunately, you have a counterfeit copy of an OEM SLP Windows 7 Ultimate installed.  You'll need to purchase a genuine "Full Version" edition of Windows 7 and perform a "Clean Install".  In addition, the installed copy of

Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage is pirated and non-genuine.  You can purchase genuine Microsoft software from the Microsoft Store.

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Yes, use the 64bit version if you have 4gigs of ram (or more). 32bit Windows can only see 4 gigs of system ram, but System Ram includes the ram that is included in most graphic cards. Sso if the Graphic Card has any of it's own ram, itself, (Most do) Windows will see that first and then will only be able to see around 3 gigs (or so) of your normal ram.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:07 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you have a counterfeit copy of an OEM SLP Windows 7 Ultimate installed.  You'll need to purchase a genuine "Full Version" edition of Windows 7 and perform a "Clean Install".  In addition, the installed copy of

Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage is pirated and non-genuine.  You can purchase genuine Microsoft software from the Microsoft Store.

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:09 PM
  • bugga thats not good :(

when i brought it, it came in the black coloured box, all wrapted up with the cd/keys etc and its been working fine up until now.

i havent got xp on this comp, its windows 7

where would you sey is a safe place to but a new copy/key from for my windows 7. i wont be getting it from ebid again, and the going rate for it?

thanks again

ian

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:17 PM
  • You can only fix your problem by perforing a "clean install" using a conventional, genuine, Windows 7 installation DVD and product key which can be purchased from the Microsoft Store.

Example: Windows 7 Home Premium

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:30 PM
  • You just buy a full license copy of Windows.  You cannot legitimately purchase just a key, although there are online crooks who claim to sell them.  The problem is that all the major licensed software (Windows, Office, Creative Studio, etc) are being counterfeited.  Purchase from the Microsoft Store, Amazon (but not an Amazon Marketplace seller), or other major retailer.  There are no legitimate copies being sold at big discounts.  Such websites are selling counterfeit product.  Review some of the posts on this forum to see just what is going on.  And take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I have found pc world selling it for £170

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-ultimate-03370787-pdt.html

most of the time i just surf and play games, would yyou think windows 7 home would be good enough. i would like to run 4 gig of ram

thanks

ian

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Windows 7 Home Premium would be perfectly fine for your needs. 
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:19 PM
  • would the Windows 7 Home Premium be 32 bit or 64 bit? as i think i need a 64bit to support 4 gig of ram?

editit to say.. the home P version says it contains 2 cd with 32 bit or 64 bit, would the 64 bit support 4 gig or more of ram, where the 32bit only sees 3.3?

thanks

ian

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Yes, use the 64bit version if you have 4gigs of ram (or more). 32bit Windows can only see 4 gigs of system ram, but System Ram includes the ram that is included in most graphic cards. Sso if the Graphic Card has any of it's own ram, itself, (Most do) Windows will see that first and then will only be able to see around 3 gigs (or so) of your normal ram.

Thank you,

Darin MS

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:07 PM
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:8e9ff736-a332-419c-8d15-8b7ec2757dcd...

Yes, use the 64bit version if you have 4gigs of ram (or more). 32bit Windows can only see 4 gigs of system ram, but System Ram includes the ram that is included in most graphic cards. Sso if the Graphic Card has any of it's own ram, itself, (Most do) Windows will see that first and then will only be able to see around 3 gigs (or so) of your normal ram.

Thank you,

Darin MS

4GB of RAM is supported in Win 7 32-bit - however, Retail versions of Windows include both 32-bit and 64-bit installation disks., so you have the choice anyhow:)

My system here (running Vista 21-bit, with an external graphics card) shows as having 3.2GB available RAM
    (I have removed the native Win 7 for the moment, until I get around to a clean install, so can't check the numbers for 32-bit/64-bit Win 7)

Generally speaking, unless you're running with MORE than 4GB, there's almost no difference between 32-bit and 64-bit in terms of speed, but there is a big difference in compatibility with older hardware such as printers and cameras.

DO check before installing any 64-bit system that you have appropriate drivers for all hardware!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Yep, only Noel runs "Vista 21-bit".  But is it "genuine"?
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:25 PM
  • What it lacks in bits it makes up for with latency.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:06 AM
    Answerer
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:d54b1ef7-6bee-4fe2-9edb-d398ac6eaac6...
    Yep, only Noel runs "Vista 21-bit".  But is it "genuine"?
    Carey Frisch

Ooops - fumble-fingers strikes again! - and it dam-well should be genuine, as it's still the original Acer Installation. OEM_SLP Key and all :)

--

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:41 AM
  • thanks for the info all.

does this look like the right/safe one? or anyother safe places to buy it from at a better price?

thanks

ian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-software-intended-builders/dp/B002NGJO4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309377764&sr=8-4

Thursday, June 30, 2011 11:23 AM
  • "IanJones80" wrote in message news:c48bfe3d-1b7d-4914-93ea-c62b1a7dc110...

thanks for the info all.

does this look like the right/safe one? or anyother safe places to buy it from at a better price?

thanks

ian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-software-intended-builders/dp/B002NGJO4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309377764&sr=8-4

Don't touch it with a barge-pole.
    That is NOT Amazon that you'd be buying from - but a Market-Place trader with less than a month's history.

It is NOT intended for sale to the general public - but for System Builders for pre-installation on machines for sale to the public.

You need a RETAIL pack, not an OEM pack - from a reputable source.

--

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:17 PM
  • arr see what you mean.

this one looks safer. its from a shop.

is this the right sort of price that they are?

thanks

ian

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-03351305-pdt.html

and to get one of these to keep a back up of things

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-1tb-03661634-pdt.html

thank you for all of your help people

:)

Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:26 PM
  • "IanJones80" wrote in message news:390c59da-c59f-4fbb-8fc7-f290bc50b16b...

arr see what you mean.

this one looks safer. its from a shop.

is this the right sort of price that they are?

thanks

ian

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-03351305-pdt.html

and to get one of these to keep a back up of things

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-elements-external-hard-drive-1tb-03661634-pdt.html

thank you for all of your help people

:)

Sorry - I should have said earlier....
    Try either dabs.com or scan.co.uk  - they tend to be the cheapest of the legitimate etailers for Windows, and I use both regularly (they also tend to be quicker with deliveries than PCWorld).

--

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:30 PM
  • not a lot in it really, i can reserive online at the online price and pick up in my local store.

thanks

ian

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Ian,

Step back a moment and consider:

Windows 7 Professional is a much better buy because

1.  Home Premium and Ultimate go out of support at the end of 2014.  Professional gets extended support (until 2020).

2.  Professional entitles you to the free XP Mode, which is a fully licensed XP Pro SP3 running right on your Windows 7 Pro desktop.  Great for legacy gaming.

And as far as an external hard drive goes, please consider adding usb 3.0 to your computer and buying a 1TB external usb 2.0/3.0 hard drive.  The difference in transfer rate is dramatic.  I get 25mbs with 2.0 and 75mbs with 3.0 on both my desktop and laptop.  PCWorld has WD usb3.0 drives for sale but I would shop around as Noel suggests.  You will need a usb 3.0 adaptor.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:51 PM
    Answerer
  • that sound like v good advice, but there is about £70 difference between the 2. my local staples and the full home version for £107

thanks again

ian

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Calculate the difference between HP full and Anytime Upgrade HP to Pro.  May be a little less.  Staples probably has the AU card.  They do here in the US

http://www.staples.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Anytime-Upgrade-Home-Premium-to-Professional/product_820229

$90 is less than your 70GBP difference for sure.

Just get the right edition, not necessarily the cheapest.  There is real value in Pro.  The difference in price is more than made up for just by the free copy of XP.  The five extra years of support is a deal-maker.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:24 PM
    Answerer
  • "IanJones80" wrote in message news:087a9f2f-56c3-42ef-96df-8b7e9fb0f902...

that sound like v good advice, but there is about £70 difference between the 2. my local staples and the full home version for £107

thanks again

ian

......I don't expect there to be any earlier real cutoff for security updates for the Home products, since the code is so common between them - obviously there won't be any new approved bells and whistles, but I suspect that some at least of anything new that comes to the Pro versions will filter down to the Home ones , one way or another.
    The most compelling argument in favour of Pro is the ability to use XP Mode - if you see no need for that, then Pro is almost certainly not a necessity

--

Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:34 PM
  • im not really sure what i would need the xp mode for. i have been using the ultimate verson for the last few months, and havent come acrossed any problems.

all i really do is surf the forums/ebay etc and play games and the odd bit of photoshop

Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:40 PM
  • You said in an earlier post that "most of the time i just surf and play games," XP is still the favorite gaming platform with a lot of veteran gamers. What doesn't play with 7's XP compatiblity plays fine in XP Mode. There are an incredibe number of legacy games out there.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:23 PM
    Answerer
  • I forgot to ask, can I just buy a key for this version i have on the comp now, with out having to re install everything? if so what would the price be?

went into my local staples store, and they can do the full home version for £104.99 !

thanks again

ian

Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:44 PM
  • I forgot to ask, can I just buy a key for this version i have on the comp now, with out having to re install everything? if so what would the price be?

went into my local staples store, and they can do the full home version for £104.99 !

thanks again

ian

Unfortunately no.  You must perform a "clean install" using a new conventional Windows 7 DVD.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Thanks again Carey.

I think i am going to go for the home version, and then later on when i have saved some more and if needed, upgrade to the pro version

Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Noel, the product lifecycle tables tell the tale.  MS relented on XP Home at the 11th hour and extended support to match XP Pro.  I don't see that happening with either Vista or Windows 7.  Part of the purpose of extending support for XP Home was the need for an OS for the netbooks. 

What is maddening is that Vista and Windows 7 Ultimate are supposed to "have everything" but are classed as consumer editions for support purposes and are scheduled for early retirement along with the Home editions.  I hope that changes for Ultimate as retirement approaches for the Vista consumer editions (next year). 

MS does sanction use of Ultimate by enterprises and even guarantees volume license customers that they can choose to upgrade Pro to Ultimate rather than Enterprise and still keep the Enterprise perks.  It is going to get awkward if those users have to reinstall Windows just to return to Pro or Enterprise.  In my opinion, it is a potential mess. 

I disagree with your "trickle down" theory, though.  Unless MS reverses and extends support for Ultimate, only Windows 7 Pro and Enterprise will recieve security patches after Jan 13, 2015.  Vista Home editions and Ultimate will die ten months from now. 

The irony is that XP Home will continue in support TWO FULL YEARS longer than Vista Ultimate and only 8 months less than Window 7 Ultimate.  That makes no sense to a user and the way MS Marketing trumpeted Ultimate seems a bit of a betrayal.

MS knows they need to rationalize the life cycle tables and I think they will stand pat on at least the Vista and Windows 7 home editions in order to do this. 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:23 PM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:2dc80424-e290-4a20-923d-934c63f48b04...

Noel, the product lifecycle tables tell the tale.  MS relented on XP Home at the 11th hour and extended support to match XP Pro.  I don't see that happening with either Vista or Windows 7.  Part of the purpose of extending support for XP Home was the need for an OS for the netbooks. 

What is maddening is that Vista and Windows 7 Ultimate are supposed to "have everything" but are classed as consumer editions for support purposes and are scheduled for early retirement along with the Home editions.  I hope that changes for Ultimate as retirement approaches for the Vista consumer editions (next year). 

MS does sanction use of Ultimate by enterprises and even guarantees volume license customers that they can choose to upgrade Pro to Ultimate rather than Enterprise and still keep the Enterprise perks.  It is going to get awkward if those users have to reinstall Windows just to return to Pro or Enterprise.  In my opinion, it is a potential mess. 

I disagree with your "trickle down" theory, though.  Unless MS reverses and extends support for Ultimate, only Windows 7 Pro and Enterprise will recieve security patches after Jan 13, 2015.  Vista Home editions and Ultimate will die ten months from now. 

The irony is that XP Home will continue in support TWO FULL YEARS longer than Vista Ultimate and only 8 months less than Window 7 Ultimate.  That makes no sense to a user and the way MS Marketing trumpeted Ultimate seems a bit of a betrayal.

MS knows they need to rationalize the life cycle tables and I think they will stand pat on at least the Vista and Windows 7 home editions in order to do this. 

Colin
    There is a very big difference between XP and Win7 - the commonality of the codebase.
    One of the major features of Win 7  is that it's possible to upgrade from one edition to another using simply a Key to do so.
    This means that at all times all code for the upgrades should be accessible from the lower versions - and implies that therefore all updates will be installed, whether they are strictly applicable or not.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when Home Basic hits the EOL buffers :)

I agree that the problem with Ultimate is certainly concerning - it's the most expensive edition of either Vista or Win7, but has the same EOL as the cheapest version. I really suspect that some dodo (with the initial S) didn't have a clue when he decided this <eg - and hang any chances of a thank-you from MS> There must be a few businesses who are sweating on this, as they are possibly too small to qualify for Enterprise, and yet need the flexibility of that version - and only Ultimate offers this. In the current economic climate such expenditure could be enough to cause severe problems for them.

--

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Noel.

You know that older service packs of the same edition are retired and the user cannot get security updates unless they upgrade to the currently supported service pack(s).  If what you say were true then Vista SP1 owners would be getting updates.  For that matter so would XP SP2 users.

MS will use version checking in the updates to ensure only Pro and Ent get them after the end of mainstream support.  What you say of the congruity of Windows 7 editions was also true of XP Home and Pro insofar as the majority of the code was concerned but MS was fully prepared to end support for Home after mainstream support.  They can do this and MS Marketing drives these decisions.  Marketing determines the feature sets and the perks of each edition and ensures that editions are differentiated for pricing.

I have been lobbying actively for years for the Ultimate EOL issue to be corrected.  That's why I usually comment on it when users ask about the best edition to buy.  Classifying Ultimate as a consumer edition is one of Marketing's worst mistakes and I have yet to talk to anyone who even tries to defend it. 

Friday, July 1, 2011 12:16 PM
    Answerer