none
windows10 search can't find all my files with keyword. Must add * on ahead of keyword, then, it can find all my files. RRS feed

• Question

• There are many windows 10 computers in our office. on some windows 10, we can't find some files when we use windows default search engine. we must add ' * ' ahead of keyword, then, I can get all my files I need. However, some of windows 10 don't need to add the ' * '  ahead of the keyword, they can show all files we need. 

I tried to rebuild the search engine a few times. I got same problem. 

I tried to change the search engine as 'search file name and contents', then the search engine need long time to find all my files. it's word. However, some of windows 10 don't need change this setting. they just use the default setting to find all my files quickly. 

My I know how I can fix the problem?

Friday, March 19, 2021 2:35 AM

All replies

• Are the Windows versions compatible throughout the system?
    Tuesday, March 23, 2021 4:34 PM
  • Know that Windows Search will convert your query into precise AQS and unless you are specific in your queries, Windows will guess what AQS you actually meant.

Thursday, April 8, 2021 7:26 AM
  • Try opening my computer,R.click on C: drive,open,user accounts,open user,locate the files/folders you are looking for,On any given folder,maybe Right click,create a shortcut,move it to my documents for easy location/access.Also,make sure Indexing is running in services.msc
    Thursday, April 22, 2021 12:27 AM
  • Solution:

1. Press windows key, type in "folder", open "File Explorer Options". (For some reason typing file, or explorer does not match this result, go figure)

2. select tab named "Search"

3. Check the first box, leave the last three unchecked.

so you can be sure:

first box - checked "Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files (searches might take longer)." (keyword: might)

second box - unchecked "Include system directories"

third box - unchecked "Include compressed files (ZIP, CAB...)"

fourth box - unchecked "Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes"

prinsbery

Tuesday, April 27, 2021 8:00 PM