none
Can I write Windows 7 3D applications using the 3D Starter Kit? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am a long time C#, and to some extent, C++ developer.
    Now I want to do some 3D, question is, can I use the 3D Starter Kit for this, or is there another path I can follow?

* I will not make a 3D Game.
    * I will not make an "app".
    * I will not make something that only runs on Widows 8.

What I want, is to write a good old-fashion Windows application, which will display some some 3D, and also capture this and store it as an image sequence or a video. The ability to write 3D is fascinating, but I have no experience so far. I want to load a few simple meshes, and animate these in 3D space, in accordance with some data. Add simple light(s), simple shaders, perhaps add a texture, and so on.
    Main requirement is that this application at least has to run on Windows 7, preferably also on Vista.

My target users are professional 3D animators / designers, who probably need the tool am want to make. They mostly work on desktop computers, several screens, and mostly run Windows 7.

My question goes like this:
    Does Microsoft have libraries that will help me out here? Is the 3D starter kit suitable? I ask, because everywhere I look, there is the talk about "apps", games and "surface" and Windows 8.

-Ingvar

Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Ingvar,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>Develop Windows 7 applications.

Maybe you could tell us the real language and app type like WPF or others, you know that this forum is to discuss the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. Actually Visual Studio 3D Starter Kitis really out of support range of this forum.

As my previous suggestion, one idea is that you could post a question with “Q AND A” here:

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Visual-Studio-3D-Starter-455a15f1/view/Discussions#content

I think you could get useful information from the code sample experts who are familiar with the 3D Starter Kit.

In addition, to help you find a more appropriate forum, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Actually I did some research about it, I get some information here:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/12/vs-3d-starter-kit

Maybe you could get useful information there.

For example:

The Starter Kit is an example tailored for Windows Store apps (Windows 8 only). The VS Graphics tools can be used to develop Windows Desktop DirectX applications on Windows 7/8, but they only come with Visual Studio 2012.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Anyway, I move it to the moderator forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 21, 2014 7:02 AM
  • What SDK, what libraries do I need?

Might ask that over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=windowssdk

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Ingvar,

I did some research about it, it seems that the Starter Kit is an example tailored for Windows Store apps.

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2013/03/28/visual-studio-3d-starter-kit-now-available-for-windows-phone-8/

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Visual-Studio-3D-Starter-455a15f1

So it would have this limitation. You could click "Q AND A" in the above second link, ask a question, maybe you could get more latest information from Roberto.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Ok, thanks. But I can load an FBX file directly into my Visual Studio 2013, no problem. And move the mesh around in 3D space. When I can do it in design time, there has to be a way to do it in runtime, too. I have to do a lot of research it seems, to find out about this. Because I think one was able to make 3D in Visual Studio, using DirectX / Open GL, before Windows 8 and Windows Phone entered the scene.

-Ingvar

Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi Ingvar,

Glad to receive your reply.

We could create windows store apps in VS2012/VS2013, but as far as I know the windows 7 doesn’t support windows store apps, so if you want to develop 3D windows store app, it would have this limitation. So one important issue is that what kind of 3D app you want to develop.

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, I might not have the correct detailed answer you need, but I might lead you into the right direction to solve your problem.

If it is related to the window store or windows phone app, maybe you could get the better forum like this case:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/e3755c37-0eca-4609-9cb7-9f35135115c4/visual-studio-3d-starter-kit-textures?forum=wingameswithdirectx

If it is also related to the DirectX, this forum would be better:

http://xboxforums.create.msdn.com/forums/default.aspx?GroupID=7

Sincerely,

Jack

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:23 AM
  • Hi, as  I said in my initial post, I am not developing any apps. And, I am not developing for xbox. My task, as I also said initially, is to develop Windows 7 applications.

Let us say I want to make an application that is able to read OBJ files, and display the object, and let the user rotate this object in 3D space. This is a proper description of what I want to achieve.

What SDK, what libraries do I need? (Do not give the OBJ file format too much attention though) I assume this is a DirectX kind of task. But, having programmed for many years now, I am green when it comes to 3D programming.

-Ingvar

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Hi Ingvar,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>Develop Windows 7 applications.

Maybe you could tell us the real language and app type like WPF or others, you know that this forum is to discuss the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. Actually Visual Studio 3D Starter Kitis really out of support range of this forum.

As my previous suggestion, one idea is that you could post a question with “Q AND A” here:

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Visual-Studio-3D-Starter-455a15f1/view/Discussions#content

I think you could get useful information from the code sample experts who are familiar with the 3D Starter Kit.

In addition, to help you find a more appropriate forum, I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Actually I did some research about it, I get some information here:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/12/vs-3d-starter-kit

Maybe you could get useful information there.

For example:

The Starter Kit is an example tailored for Windows Store apps (Windows 8 only). The VS Graphics tools can be used to develop Windows Desktop DirectX applications on Windows 7/8, but they only come with Visual Studio 2012.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Anyway, I move it to the moderator forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Jack

Friday, November 21, 2014 7:02 AM
  • What SDK, what libraries do I need?

Might ask that over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=windowssdk

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:05 PM