File duplication does not save file from hard drive crash? RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a scary thing happen: I was working on something inside my WHS PC the other day and inadvertently loosened one of my SATA HD connections.  I didn't notice until later when I tried to open a photo on my main PC.  I got an error telling me the file was not found or was invalid.  I then found out that my WHS was missing the secondary HD.  Ok, so simple enough to fix but isn't the point of Folder Duplication to prevent such a scenario?  If my secondary drive fails I expect I should still be able to get to all my files (that are duplicated) since they should be on the primary drive as well.  Sure, WHS should warn me that a drive has failed but why were my files unavailable?  Please tell me I'm missing something because my sense of security has been shattered :-)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:32 AM

Answers

• If you remove the disk from the WHS console the file should normally be accessible again.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 30, 2009 12:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony B Monday, November 23, 2009 4:21 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:08 AM

All replies

• If you remove the disk from the WHS console the file should normally be accessible again.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 30, 2009 12:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony B Monday, November 23, 2009 4:21 PM
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:08 AM
  • The files were probably unavailable because the primary file shadows were on the disk that was "missing". Removing or reconnecting the disk will restore access to the files (if they're in shares that are duplicated).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:06 PM
  • The files were probably unavailable because the primary file shadows were on the disk that was "missing". Removing or reconnecting the disk will restore access to the files (if they're in shares that are duplicated).
    But Ken, what would've happened if that drive had actually crashed and died instead if being harmlessly disconnected?  I believe this is the point/question the OP was trying to make/ask.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:46 AM
    But Ken, what would've happened if that drive had actually crashed and died instead if being harmlessly disconnected?  I believe this is the point/question the OP was trying to make/ask.

If the drive fails you still need to remove it from the console if the primary file shadows happened to be on that disk. After removal of the disk from the WHS console you should regain normal access to the files (if they were in shares with duplication turned on.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:08 AM