Phishing filter error message RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am running XP with IE 7 and keep getting a little box in the lower right side of the tool bar that looks like a webpage with an x or exclamation point in it, when you mouse over the box the following dialog box comes up: " Phishing filter cannot check this website because the the online microsoft service is tempoaraily unavailable". In addition, everytime I try to download windows security update or any other type of spyware, malware software I get the following error: 

"Internet explorer cannot display the webpage" with the usual wording about not being connected to the internet, etc. yet I know I am connected. I have tried everything I know to do and have run every malware, adware, virus program I have but they won't fix the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this problem is on my wife's laptop and I have been catching H*ll for the last couple of days because i can't fix the problem.
    • Changed type JimR1Moderator Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:40 PM
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:41 PM Off topic. (From:Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats)
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• The forum you posted to is for the discussion of Microsoft Security Essentials beta. The issues you are having are symptomatic of a malware infection. You can get help with malware removal here - https://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Jim,

Thanks for the reply, sorry for posting to the wrong forum.

Chymp
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:54 PM