OCS 2007 with Hardware Load Balancer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

I have a requirement where we need to deploy OCS 2007 with high availability and redundancy in production environment. Below is the requirement:

1.       DMZ

§  Deploy two (2) unit OCS 2K7 A/V Edge Server  

§  Deploy two (2) unit OCS 2K7 Web Conferencing & Access Proxy Edge Server

§  Deploy two (2) unit ISA 2K6 (Reverse Proxy)

2.       Server Farm (Secure Zone 1)

§  Deploy two (2) unit OCS 2K7 Front-end (EE) and Communicator Web Access (CWA) Server

§  Deploy two (2) unit OCS 2K7 Director Server

§  Deploy two (2) unit OCS 2K7 CDR Server

3.       Server Farm (Secure Zone 0)

§  Deploy two (2) unit SQL 2K5 Back-end database (Clustering) – 2 Node Active/Passive

Based on Microsoft documentation and KB 939800, we need hardware load balancer in-place. The question is, how many load balancer required? Which zone? Which server role will attached to hardware load balancer?    

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:36 AM

All replies

• You need Load Balancers in

DMZ

Loadbalancers for A/V EDGE and Conf/Access EDGE

ISA can be installed in NLB Cluster

Zone1

Loadbalancers required for FE and Director

As far as I know CDR Servers cannot be clustered or load balanced

Zone0

Only Windows Clustering required for SQL

You can find more information in the OCS Planning Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=723347C6-FA1F-44D8-A7FA-8974C3B596F4&displaylang=en

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Hi;

I have go through the documentation twice. It seem that OCS with load balance deployment required more than one (1) units Hardware Load Balancer for each set of OCS server roles (separate server roles) .

Is there any possiblities to shared one (1) unit Hardware Load Balancer in DMZ segment for each set OCS server roles located in DMZ and one (1) unit Hardware Load Balancer in Server Farm (Secure Zone 1) for each set OCS server roles located in Server Farm (Secure Zone 1).

Monday, October 20, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sure you can...I think the confusion comes from the fact that you require seperate "virtual" instances on the load balancer. You may have a farm for your Access Edge Server, one for your Web Conferencing Edge Server and one for your A/V Conferencing Edge Server. Each virtual instance will have it's own virtual IP Address but is created on the same hardware load balancer. These virtual instances are sometimes refered to as a "Farm" or a "Virtual Server".

Have a look at this deployment guide from F5 networks for more detailed information on the configuration of the virtual servers. Although it's F5 BIGIP the concepts are usually the same with Cisco, Radware, etc..

http://www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-guides/microsoft-ocs-ltm94-dg.pdf

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Tonino Bruno

Monday, October 20, 2008 7:23 PM