Help locating hotfix for CRM 4.0 - 2 CRM toolbars issue after upgrading CRM 3.0 Client for Outlook to 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I searched high and low trying for this fix. I have a problem after installing CRM 4.0 Client for Outlook. Here is the issue I am having.

We've recently upgraded from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0. Before this all of my machines used to have CRM 3.0 Client for Outlook. I uninstalled CRM 3.0 Client for Outlook on all machines and then installed CRM 4.0 Client for Outlook. In all cases installation was successful however all of the machines now have 2 CRM Toolbars in Outlook. Neither of the two CRM toolbars respond when clicked.

I am certain there is a HF available but can’t find it. Has anyone else come across this problem and managed to solve it?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jarvis.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:26 AM

Answers

•  

This link details the hot fixes available for CRM 4.0:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949256/

I had a similar problem to yours. I would start from scratch - uninstall CRM 4.0 client for outlook, delete a directory as described below and then reinstall.

If in Outlook there is a greyed out CRM pull down menu it may be necessary to delete a directory.

On a Vista PC the directory is:

C:\users\user’s profile directory/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/outlook

On a Windows XP PC the directory is:

C:\documents and settings\user’s profile directory/application data/Microsoft/outlook

This likely to occur after an upgrade from CRM 3.0.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:17 PM

All replies

•  

This link details the hot fixes available for CRM 4.0:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949256/

I had a similar problem to yours. I would start from scratch - uninstall CRM 4.0 client for outlook, delete a directory as described below and then reinstall.

If in Outlook there is a greyed out CRM pull down menu it may be necessary to delete a directory.

On a Vista PC the directory is:

C:\users\user’s profile directory/appdata/roaming/Microsoft/outlook

On a Windows XP PC the directory is:

C:\documents and settings\user’s profile directory/application data/Microsoft/outlook

This likely to occur after an upgrade from CRM 3.0.

Monday, April 28, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Will there be any issues with a users Outlook profile if I delete or rename the Outlook folder? It's critical that all user data remains totally unchanged, whether users are in the office or out in the field. Even though all email data is held in the Exchange Server, I am a little concerned that by deleting/renaming the local Outlook folder users may experience some changes to their data.  

I was under the impression that there was another way to achieve this. I remember reading somewhere that to solve the above issue, Microsoft recommended editing the registry. Therefore deleting or renaming the existing Outlook folder was not necessary. Apparently this is the ‘supported’ way to fix the issue. However exactly what I need to edit in the registry - I don't have a clue! 

It doesn’t bother me weather the fix is supported or not. I only care that it works and that user data is not affected in any way whatsoever.

Are there any know issues when it comes to deleting a users Outlook folder before installing CRM 4.0 client for Outlook?

Cheers

Jarvis

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:50 PM
  • Jarvis,

You are right to be concerned about making such changes. I'm not aware of any registry changes that deal with this issue - they may exist but I just don't know of them.

I had this problem on my own CRM installation and deleting the folder that I mentioned had no obvious impact on my Outlook data. Note that the directory to be deleted is not the Outlook folder where an offline copy of the Exchange data is stored.

In any case, why not rename the directory just in case?  You'll find that the Outlook directory will get created and I hope, all works properly again with CRM.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Hello again,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it on one of my old/test machines and it worked fine. I'll go ahead and do this for the rest of the machines. I was just a bit nervous as I have to do this for 2 of our BDMs who rely heavily on their Outlook data. I'll rename the 'old' Outlook folder instead of deleting it just in case.

Thanks again
    J.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:36 PM